View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 03:12 PM
stashprincess

Default needle bar bit the dust?

Help! I am so sad that my Janome treadle machine (yes, i bought one because I have a lead foot on the electric pedal) stopped working recently. I was finishing the binding on a quilt for one of my sons and the size 18 needle would keep hitting the bottom of the bobbin case when it went down. I changed the needle, cleaned everything out of the bobbin case, and for the life of me could not figure out what is going on. I pulled out my cheap simple Singer machine and finished the quilt. (quilt pic included for fun)

started doing some troubleshooting, and the bobbin thread on the bottom is not picked up thru the top when the needle goes down. changed the needle back to a size 14. Still nothing. searched some youtubes about adjusting the needle bar so that the hook on the bobbin case is slightly above the needle eye, so that the thread will get picked up. However, doing that, the needle is way too far down and gets stuck on the bobbin case when it goes down.

I noticed that the needle doesn't go all the way up in the needle bar. It's possible that something is wrong with the needle bar and the needle won't insert all the way. i have tried singer and schmetz needles with the flat side in the correct place and there is about a 1/8" space at the top, which would take care of the needle being too far down if the needle were to slide up and fill that space.

What do I do? Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails screenshot-2023-08-11-191114.jpg