Old 08-24-2023, 09:05 AM
quiltsfor

I've been using either:
Schmetz Needles - Art. 1842 HLx5 High Speed 90/14 - (5 pack)
Organ Quilting Industrial Machine Needles - Size 90/14 - HLx5 (10 pack)

The Schmetz High Speed needles are a little harder to find and are more expensive - last time purchased 5.95 for a 5 pack.

The Organ Industrial Machine Needles (also for high speed machines) were 2.95 for a 10 pack the last time I purchased them.

I'm actually finding that I like the Organ brand better, though I've just started to use them about a month ago. So far, I've had less thread breakage with them and they seem to last longer. And, since they are cheaper to purchase, it's a win win.

With the Schmetz, I did like them and used them exclusively at first, but in the last pack I opened, two of the needles had inner burrs in the eye of the needle that the thread rubbed against and caused it to break. (took me a bit to figure it out as the needles were brand new out of the package) That was when I decided to try the Organ needles.

Since I still have a stock of the Schmetz High Speed needles, I've been using them for piecing, and then switching to the Organ Industrial needles for top work (quilting and binding) Once all of my Schmetz needles are gone, I'll just be using the Organ Quilting Industrial Machine Needles.

Since my machine is a straight stitch, high speed machine, I need to make sure I get the High Speed needles, the HLx5. I get my Organ needles at Wawak.

I thought about getting them in bulk on amazon, but I couldn't find where it listed that it was a high speed needle (HLx5). I was advised by my dealer to make sure I got the high speed needles as they were safer to use in my machine.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-24-2023 at 09:17 AM.