View Single Post
Old 08-30-2023, 08:57 AM
OurWorkbench

Default September 2023 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 2

Dianne

Dianne, who wasn't actively looking for another machine, tells of the one that has recently joined her herd.

The Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum in Golden, CO has a “garage sale” of donated fabric, notions and such every August. This year I was looking for camel colored fabrics, which I define as medium golden-brown. There wasn’t much of that around, despite heaps of fabric, but some lighter golden pieces and other interesting chunks jumped into my shopping bag. There are usually a few sewing machines also, and looking at them was interesting. No photos (no camera) but a very old Singer treadle, and a White of the large 30s or so chunky style were there, and this aluminum Bel Air Bantam. It was too cute to pass up, despite a sad base in need of work or replacement. It is B5359112A, although there are likely not records for these post-WWII machines made in Japan during the 1950s. An aluminum Singer 99 has been on my radar for years, but they seem to be awfully rare, so this will have to do. The machine was dusted off, oiled, and sewed - until a hiding wad of thread stopped it cold. The problem was found, in the bobbin area, and she is back to sewing. The machine has been rewired sometime in the last 70 years, and what is probably a replacement foot controller added.

Research on this machine has not happened yet, except one reference says it was actually made by the Consolidated Sewing Machine Company, and that there was no such entity as the Bel Air Sewing Machine Company. Consolidated still makes machines, badged Consew. Those I have seen in advertisements. At least, that is what appeared in a quick search online.

Obviously some work needs to be done, including mitigation of a few small spots of aluminum disease, but that will not happen until winter arrives. Shown below, she is sitting on a Free treadle, the one with peacock decals!
Dianne

dianne-dscf1390.jpeg

dianne-dscf1392.jpeg

In Closing

I'd like to thank Leon and Dianne for their contributions. Also, thank you for those who follow these monthly postings. See you next month.