View Single Post
Old 10-04-2023, 06:42 AM
OurWorkbench

Default October 2023 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together Part 1

Well the leaves are starting to turn colors and some are starting to fall, so it must be fall. Denver had many 80 plus degree days the last week of September and into October.

This month we received notes from a new member and a couple of travelers. So lets get started.

Loraine

We have added a new member to our group. Loraine took the Featherweight class that Courtney had the end of July. She sent the following note and pictures of a treadle she recently got.

Here are 3 photos of an antique treadle machine I recently acquired and which I hope to make functional before the end of this year. It sews when we hand-turn the wheel & we anticipate sewing success when it is once again connected to its treadle cable.

loraine-img_8834.jpg

loraine-img_9487.jpg

loraine-img_9488.jpg

Thanh

Thanh tells us of his getting a couple of machines and of his travels that included being able to see an antique industrial Bradbury machine.

I have a short update for September which includes a couple acquisitions.

I had picked up another featherweight earlier in the month which will be the last one unless I see a super deal on another one. It needs a lot of cleaning and the case is in bad shape but it turns freely.

I also bought an Elna Lotus SP through an online auction. I’ve had my eye out for one for some time and was happy to have won this one at a good price. It sews well and came with original accessories except the seam ripper and lube tube. The only quirk is that the hand wheel sometimes needs a little manual turn to engage. I suspect it’s the friction pulley not quite catching the hand wheel and will look to buy a replacement soon.

I also went to England this month but I was in London on the last Saturday of the month and missed the Sewing Machine museum by one week. However, I did spot an A1 Repairer made by Bradbury & Co. at the maritime museum in Falmouth. These machines were manufactured for boot repair but this machine was modified for sailmaking.

thanh-image_6487327resizelg.jpg

Courtney

Courtney was able to get a namesake machine.

Dear All,

It doesn’t feel as if I have spent much time on sewing machines this month but when I look back quite a lot has happened. An old friend, who coached gymnastics with me many years ago, is teaching her eleven-year-old granddaughter how to sew. Her granddaughter is named Stella and towards the end of the month I came across an Elna Stella TSP in very nice condition in its original box. I couldn’t pass up the chance to give Stella a Stella for Christmas! I only needed to oil it, it was starting to be a bit stiff, now it is running very smooth.

courtney-stella-stella.jpg

to be continued...