View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 01:46 PM
mkc

Longarms are like buying a car - you really want to test drive first and see/feel which you're most comfortable with using and seems most intuitive to you.

As a beginner, I'd encourage you to rent first if possible (many shops have rental machines available). Also, strongly consider one that's either able to be easily user-maintained (timing, etc.) or, if you're not handy, one where you have a dealer with a reasonable distance. Support/service after the sale is important with the head unit, especially if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Quilting with a longarm is quite different than doing straight-line or FMQ on a regular sewing machine. Renting one via something like a certification class (you'll get basic instructions) and operating one for a few hours will let you know what it's like.

I rented 2 different models of one brand, then tried 3 or 4 other models at road shows and dealers. One stood out for me, but I didn't have enough comfortable room for the depth of the frame (not the length, but the front-to-back from where you stand to the wall behind the machine). I opted for the one I liked next best and would fit, but 3 1/2 years later I wish I'd gone with my first choice and dealt with the room being cramped.

Last edited by mkc; 01-30-2024 at 01:51 PM.