View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 09:18 AM
Iceblossom

I am in the market for a long arm, I recently found the King and I like the basic price but I have a lot of concerns over a machine I can't try in person. The frame and robotics upcharges quickly make the price point closer to what I can try out. The Moxie and its standard frame is too small for what I want... but I mostly work in large queen sized quilts.

I have some experience with a friend's long arm and I know the features I want and (sadly) know my price point... I will be using cash from my house sale and no, I can't be convinced on "just a few more dollars per month". Don't think I can afford robotics and I'm most likely going with a used system. I need a 10-12' frame (and have room for it!), a stitch regulator, and I'd like back handles for pantos but I think I don't have that much room.

One of the things new long armers don't really think through is the amount of space you will need. Basically a family room, large bedroom, or single car garage. These aren't things you can take up/down easily. My normal sewing rate is about a project per month and I have dozens of tops waiting to be done. I am not going to regret the space.

What I've seen from being with my friends if there is usually a lot of sales pressure in that "you can make money by quilting for others". What I've observed is there is usually at least a 2 year learning curve before you are ready to quilt for others and most people don't like the experience for a variety of reasons.