View Single Post
Old 02-26-2024, 08:13 AM
tranum

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I absolutely agree Tranum. I try to support the few LQS's we have left in the area, but I have needed to stretch my dollars for quilting until they beg for mercy. I recently hit the jackpot at a Value Village thrift store. Six gently used 100% cotton sheets, queen and king sized, for under $8 each. I always launder with unscented soap, open all seams, press and fold--ready to be used as backing on charity quilts. This also allows me to double check that they are in good condition throughout.

The bonus for me, was a beautiful light grey king sized sheet. The label said Pima Cotton. Since I have a few scrappy patterns that I think would look better with a grey background, I am going to use it for yardage.

Washing yardage: I’ve not tried this yet but I will soon as I found it interesting. The article said up to 12 yards can be washed this way -
1). Open yardage & refold with selvages are on left & right & piece is WOF across. Then turn cut edges to inside (so it’s not exposed) and begin folding accordion style (I suspect no more than 12-15 inches). Piece should roughly be 12-15” x 42. Use 5 shiny new safety pins (no rust) on each selvage going through all layers. Wash fabric and dry. This will eliminate twists that can be hard to iron out. Please update us if you attempt it. This came from a blog I follow “From My Carolina Home”