Boom 31 Spring

Old 06-07-2024, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt, Janice! Project Linus will be so happy to get it.

I only bind by machine. I sew the binding on the back and turn it to the front and topstitch. It looks best when my stitching is just inside the edge of the binding. As with all sewing, practice makes better, if not perfect!
Old 06-07-2024, 10:33 AM

SBG, That's what I did...topstitched the front. My line of stitching wandered a bit so I need to improve that. Do you use a left compensating foot? Juki Junkies has one for $18. Might be a good investment..

Pulled out some old Boom blocks. Next up will be from Boom 28, the bright florals. Pic is below, blocks in no particular order. I will meander these as well. Time to start deciding on a back and sashing colors. It'll be another donation quilt.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Beautiful quilt, Janice! Project Linus will be so happy to get it.

I only bind by machine. I sew the binding on the back and turn it to the front and topstitch. It looks best when my stitching is just inside the edge of the binding. As with all sewing, practice makes better, if not perfect!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5914.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	893.2 KB
ID:	648730  

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-07-2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2024, 03:28 PM

I tried machine quilting the binding on my last kids quilt and wasn’t very happy how it turned out. Definitely need more practice. The one I am working on now I am hand sewing it down.

Finished all of grandaughter’s 200 squares for her wedding signature blocks and ordered the coordinating fabrics. Added freezer paper to the back and sewed a 1/4” line around all of them. Very easy just time consuming She was so excited when informed we were taking care of all the quilt expenses. I told her we weren’t that old that we didn’t remember the expense of planning our own wedding. She is such a sweet girl, doesn’t feel entitled at all
Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM

Terriamn, congrats on getting so much prep work done for the wedding quilt. Sounds tedious but worth it for the wonderful quilt you’ll make. The Under the Sea quilt is my first attempt at machine quilting. I routinely hand stitch it but a donation quilt might be more roughly handled than I would handle it so machine quilting seemed like a good alternative. It certainly was faster, that’s for sure. I’ll do it again.

Has anyone started a project with their blocks yet? Too soon? I gave my Juki a home “spa day” and she’s spotless, dustless, oiled and running like a top.

I’m inclined to go with the July start date for Boom 32. I, too, want to avoid the holidays. I’m going to a couple of LQSs today to see if I can find any child-friendly fabric on sale. I plan to make another PL quilt since I want to keep quilting but don’t have any more room for quilts here and honestly, my family just isn’t interested in them. I made a small one for DGD and it’s been stuffed in a closet for a couple of years at their house, unused. Makes me sad but lesson learned.

Enjoy your weekend.

Old Yesterday, 03:56 AM

Just a thought. Not all Project Linus recipients are young children. There are many who are teens that come from foster care or who are disenfranchised or simply homeless for what ever tragic reason. They don't need cute bunnies, trucks or juvenile prints, though I bet some might like them too. I make most of my PL quilts as large throws and out of what ever is on hand and gender neutral with perhaps with a bit of whimsy. They are modern or traditional and often what strikes my fancy or a pattern I simply want to try. Those teens need a warm hug also.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Janice on kids quilts and any donation quilt I usually sew the binding by machine, seems that I don’t have problems sewing the binding by machine on smaller size quilts. I like to use a decorative stitch when sewing to the front.

I changed my mind and have the swimsuit blocks from this boom up on my design wall. Trying to decide on the lattice.

Another absolutely gorgeous day here, our first weekend without rain in a month.

Our friend with cancer felt good enough to come out last night and today. It was wonderful to see him out and about but he is extremely weak and haggard looking. He seemed to enjoy being with everyone and still has a great attitude a good reminder to hug your loved ones

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Oh, dear! I love my DGDs but they are trying my patience tonight! They’ve been put to bed and are definitely not quieting down. Their folks are out for an overdue dinner date and DH and I are sitting them for a couple more hours. My goodness. I hope they fall asleep soon.

Found some batiks at $6 a yard at an LQS. Score! Will probably cut them up and use them for the next boom.

Ah, it’s getting quieter! I live in hope. Have a nice evening.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
Power Poster

Yay… love batiks! I should send some of mine.

I have the baby jungle animals quilt all together. It’s a top… ready to be quilted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4399.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	648737  
Old Today, 02:03 AM

Good morning. The birds are singing! What a great way to start the day.

SBG, love the top and your center square is perfect.

The DGDs fell asleep 5 minutes before their parents got home. At least they didn’t have to deal with rambunctious girls after a pleasant evening out.