Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is Your favorite thimble? >
  • What is Your favorite thimble?

• What is Your favorite thimble?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 AM

It is too funny that the original member who posted this is named Roxanne, and she is asking about thimbles! Roxanne thimbles are great, and I use mine when I remember to take it with me.

My absolute favorites, though, are the little leather circles that I put on the tip of my finger. And, when I am changing directions while quilting on a frame, I use a thimble on my thumb, like Alex Anderson does. That one is just a regular metal (not silver) thimble, because they are hard to find big enough for your thumb.
    Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    I have a thimble that was my grandmother's. It it's well, but the best thing is, is that it's worn so nice and smooth from use on the inside. So many newer thimbles I have are rough on the inside. Now I always keep my eye out for affordable antique thimbles, because they are usually similar to my grandmother's. That is my suggestion for finding a thimble.
    I agree. I inherited a sterling silver thimble from a great aunt that is just perfect.
    Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 AM

I make my own leather ones and reinforce the end with another piece of leather. I took a leather one apart for a pattern and use wide elastic.
    Old 10-04-2011, 05:51 AM
    nab

Have any of you used the Clover rubber (soft plastic) thimbles with the metal on the top? I have one of them that does not have the metal and my needle slips. It does however fit quite well. I have those darned arthritis bumps on the first joint of my fingers so I need something that will fit over or against them and not cause the pain. I do have a cheap metal thimble that I can use, but it truly is not comfortable.
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 AM

thanks I 'm going to try this
    Originally Posted by raedar63
    I made one from duck tape shaped it to my finger sticky side out then wrapped several layers and made a little custom thimble .:)
    Next one I make I may put a piece of leather in side.
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 AM

[quote=nab]Have any of you used the Clover rubber (soft plastic) thimbles with the metal on the top?

I love mine. It's bright pink and has the metal cap on the end. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but the other kept slipping off my hand. This one molds to my finger. For about $8-9 it's great.
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Actually I like the leather one and used several to quilt. I collect thimbles and have them in a case. Some thimbles are very ornate and they are highly collectible.
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by rainbow quilter
    I splurged a few years ago and bought a Roxanne thimble and it was the best splurge ever. I always hated thimbles and have a box full of thimbles that I tried and didn't like. The Roxanne thimble changed all of that. There was a booth at a quilt show with a certified Roxanne "fitter" when I got mine, but there are fitting instructions on the web site.
    I bought my Roxanne 3 years ago and also love it. As you said. it was fitted and it feels so good I forget to take it off when I hand quilting :D
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 AM

For applique I use the small stick on leather thimble. I am an avaid appliquer so I learned you do need a thimble. I use the leather coin thimble as well as my Roxanne thimble for hand quilting. I would check on-line or at Joanns or Michaels for the thimble.
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 AM

My favorite one belong to my great, great, grandmother.She brought it over from England as a bride & her scissors.I don't use either one.I use several old, old,old thimble'sI've had so long I forgot where I got them.My hands swell from arthritis, keep several sizes.Never tried leather ones.