Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >
  • Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

• Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by candi
    Ok, I looked at my FQs again and I think I am going to make this quilt with my main color being green,my accent red and then brown for Bonnie's black and same cream yardage for the background. I may even do a couple of QST tomorrow.
    I like your color ideas! Since this is my first mystery quilt, I am following Bonnie's suggestions as I don't feel brave enough to switch it up. I hope you post pictures of your progress, as I would love to see your colors in action.
    Old 12-04-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
    I'm on a roll!! 86 more to do! I think I have them all done just need to iron and trim those 86!
    Good for you! I am going to start on my HST's today and hopefully be done by the next clue.
    Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 AM

I am also working on the Orca Bay which is also my first mystery quilt. I've been using Inklingo to make my QST's and HST's. I'm not good at these and Inklingo made it so easy. Here's my results so far. Today is my HST day. More later
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111127_101944.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	293080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111125_204558.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	293081  
    Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Echo, love your fabrics. It's almost as good as going to a store.
    Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Those look great. My main color is purple. Then I have pink and blue QST and yellow string blocks and now pink and blue HST. But I have just started on step 3 today. Need to do a couple of samples first for the right size.
    Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Lovely work Echo! Be sure to share your pics on the picture thread too. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t168881.html Love the picture of your dog in your avatar. Cattle Dog? Mine is in my avatar too.

I've got 20 more HST's to do and then redo the QST's to the correct size.
    Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 AM

I was finely able to start!!! I cut 1-1/2 strips then the little triangles. I did not place light to dark. I didn't want twenty exact triangles. Instead I had princess and her boyfriend put all the lights in one bag and all the darks in another bag. I realized I may still have twenty exactly the same. But now it will be random. Am I (is it OCD)?

While the kids sorted my triangles I made princess her ginger bread cookies. I could start sewing while the dough refrigerated. I had to pull princess away from the sad end of the Cowboys game to take cookies out of the oven while I kept rolling out more. Three dozen cookies later we were out of cooling space (table covered in QST construction). Hubby comes to help princess move gingerbread to a tray. He says… "what happened to these cookies!" … Behind my back princess had eaten an arm off this one and that one. A leg off this one and that one. A head off this one and that one. And just the body off this one and that one…… Then reconstructed all the poor gingerbread men…. She was so proud of herself. Those are the ones I bagged up and sent with her back to college!!! Little stinker!!!

I did manage to sew half my QSTs and I'm so pleased with how cute they are.
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm still one of the ones "bringing up the rear!" I cut about 60 of my neutrals in squares for the HST yesterday, thinking I was halfway done with the cutting. The I looked at Part 3 instructions and realized I need to cut a lot more to make the 350 HST's needed!! I'm moving along slowly. I've made a few of each of the first 2 parts. Wish I could just go SEW ALL DAY...but need to finish my decorating, get the tubs out of the house, and then that dang "housecleaning" thing is needed again.
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM

I have had a day from Hope everyone had a better one. I've got part 3 done and most the triangles for part 1 cut AGAIN!!

How is everyone doing?!
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
    I have had a day from Hope everyone had a better one. I've got part 3 done and most the triangles for part 1 cut AGAIN!!

How is everyone doing?!
    Oh CoyoteMagic - so sorry you had a bad day! You are ahead of me on part 3. I'm still working on that project. Take your time, you'll get there!!! We are NOT in a rush. Bonnie said in her blog today she was giving us small sections at a time, and I, for one, am most grateful. Last year we had much more to do each week, and I got way behind at Christmas, and did not finish RRCB until the end of January!