Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >
  • Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

• Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 12-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cactusmomma
    Glad to hear your recommendation re Karen Kay Buckley's dvd. I ordered it yesterday. Thanks Suz.
    You will really really enjoy her dvd. I have watched mine over and over. There are several more dvd's on applique out there.
    Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
    This is a great thread, I recently got a Mckenna Ryan pattern set at a very good price. All for the patterns in the quilt for about 70% off the normal price. I have looked them over and must say I am quite overwhelmed , I will be watching this thread for lots of ideas!
    She has some beautiful patterns, but I cannot afford her prices. 70% off--------WOW----what a bargin.
    Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Oh my gosh......sue z q--------your quilts blocks are beautiful. WOW
    Old 12-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Been working on a childs quilt (lap top size ) of 3 tier flowers and I'm using trans web. Really shortens the beginning stages. I also use my machine , especially since I found the blanket stitch !!! Also , used fray check and this hardened the edges and then baste sprayed butterflys and was able to stitch right to the background without any tearaway stabilizer !!!! I'm in love. Enjoy
    Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 PM

I thought this thread was new. It started over a year ago, and the ladies that did a lot of replying then seem to have quit talking. I have spent several hours on this thread reading everything and watching the videos on youtube. I have finished reading all 941 before my replys. That is why my replys are all together. LOL So much great information and inspiration. There is soooooo much talent on this board. It is great.
    Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM

I thought this was a new thread too lol.
    Old 12-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Have you seen Sue Garmen's classic Santa quilt? I think you can find it at Quilters Village I love her quilts. but they are above my skills. I would only want to them by hand. Which I need alot more practice in. I have the "Night before Christmas" and it is alot harder than I thougth it would be. Three months later and I am still on the first block. The is alot of embesllment needs to be done on it. Maybe I can workon it and have it done for next year. One step at a time.
    Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM

In January my LQS is starting a Kim McLean Applique Club, which sorely tempted me. There are five different patterns you can choose from. They're really very beautiful, but it's a club, not lessons. I don't think my skill level (just 1 simple applique block) is good enough yet to do this - and that's not even taking costs and time in account. Besides, it's not like I don't have enough projects going right now
    Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 AM
    Suz

Several posts back, one of you is going to select batik fabrics for your project. I meant to respond the time, but you all know what happens . . . To that person, please be careful with selecting "real" batiks. The finish is very hard and sometimes stiff (sometimes waxy). If you are planning to hand applique (any method) or using it for a background, I would advise against the real stuff as the fabric has been in very very hot water and thread count is tight. It is very hard to penetrate with a needle and your frustration level will be elevated. Choose the batik prints that are much softer and easier to use.

Don't ask me how I learned this!!!
    Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    Count me in! I'm dying to learn to applique. I've looked at tutorials but they confuse me. Does anyone have a website or youtube video they could recommend that would help me learn how to applique? Thanks!
    I highly recommend the Sharon Pederson Rose of Sharon DVD tutorial...It's instructive on a number of levels, but certainly covers the basic options for applique.