Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Star spin tutorial >
  • Star spin tutorial

• Star spin tutorial

Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks for this tut it is really clear now, but I have to make a shopping trip to buy a triangle ruler.
    Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM

Would
    that be a equilateral triangle.
    Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Milli
    Would
    that be a equilateral triangle.
    I used the Fons and Porter easy diagonal sets ruler. You can see it in the pictures I posted. It is a half square triangle.
    Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Yes I did see your rulers but wasn't sure thanks again.
    Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 AM

I have simply watched the You tube video ( Starta Star) and did my own thing by measuring my own.
    I have one problem though... Wen putting together the sections I find that the top two 1/4 parts are not aligned well. I have about 1/2 inch too much; I then cut down the pieces to be "squared straight" but then does not match on some of the points or it takes the center " spin " out & is not creating that "spin effect"
    I will try the Roolen tutorial to see if the measurements help; as I was winging it on my own from watching the video.
    Newbie to this forum; If anyone has a paper pattern. you may email me & I will send SASE & pay for shipping of the pattern to me. thanks
    Lainie
    Old 07-27-2013, 06:01 AM

If I only want mine to be about 21 or 22", how many strips do I need - or does it make a difference? Irene
    Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM

Irene, since I didn't have a pattern and figured it out from the you-tube video. I've been trying to figure out how to size it down to the size you want and I think I would have to play with it to do that. You can use any amount of strips any width you want. My strip set is 7- 1 1/2 inch strips that make a 7 1/2 inches unfinished strip set. The finished table topper is about 40 inches point to point. You might play with paper pieces and see what would work out. I am guessing a 4 1/2 inch strip set would work out to the size you are wanting. But that is only a guess. PM me how you come along with it or if you need more help.
    Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by nurselainie
    I have simply watched the You tube video ( Starta Star) and did my own thing by measuring my own.
    I have one problem though... Wen putting together the sections I find that the top two 1/4 parts are not aligned well. I have about 1/2 inch too much; I then cut down the pieces to be "squared straight" but then does not match on some of the points or it takes the center " spin " out & is not creating that "spin effect"
    I will try the Roolen tutorial to see if the measurements help; as I was winging it on my own from watching the video.
    Newbie to this forum; If anyone has a paper pattern. you may email me & I will send SASE & pay for shipping of the pattern to me. thanks
    Lainie
    I wonder if glue basting with Elmers washable school glue would help in keeping your sections matched. I've been using glue basting in a Quilt as you go and I love it. Be sure it is the washable glue, glue and iron dry and stitch. Good luck.
    Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 AM

I want to make one of these, I understand the size of the strips but how do you decide the size of the triangles?
    Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ahof
    I want to make one of these, I understand the size of the strips but how do you decide the size of the triangles?
    The width of your strip set determines the size of your triangles. I just found this link and pattern here on the QB. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByHo...M3/edit?pli=1#