Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Marking your quilts. >
  • Marking your quilts.

• Marking your quilts.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 PM

i use hb pencils. and sometimes the lines are REALLY dark, gone over a few times.

i have never had a problem washing it out, even on white on whites. i finish up, say a prayer and go to the laudromat. tide in the huge washer and i have been golden every time.

i have a drawer full of marking gadgets i never use. i am also very very suspicious of any ink that "disappears" because chemicals and fabric? never a good combo.

aileen
    Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM

TI use pounce but brush it on with a sponge brush. I also use chalk pencils. I haven't tried the iron off pounce because I bought a bunch of the pounce and use very little with the sponge brushes. I don't like any of the pens - I have heard too many horror stories about not getting it all out or having it come back after being thrown in the dryer.
    Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 AM

Clover's Chaco markers are by far, my favorite marking tools. I have them in every color. The ratchet system makes delivery of the chalk smooth and effortlessly. They never leave residue on any fabric. Once you try them, you will never go back to using pencil type markers.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/69..._/Chaco_Liners
    Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend
    Clover's Chaco markers are by far, my favorite marking tools. I have them in every color. The ratchet system makes delivery of the chalk smooth and effortlessly. They never leave residue on any fabric. Once you try them, you will never go back to using pencil type markers.

I love these as well - I use then on my longarn all the time. They are easily brushed away when you need to remove them.
    Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
    TI use pounce but brush it on with a sponge brush. I also use chalk pencils. I haven't tried the iron off pounce because I bought a bunch of the pounce and use very little with the sponge brushes. I don't like any of the pens - I have heard too many horror stories about not getting it all out or having it come back after being thrown in the dryer.
    Thanks for the tip, I will try a brush, I think I will like that better.
    Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend

I have never saw those before, but they look very interesting. Thanks I learn something new everyday on this board.
    Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 AM
    Banned

Every quilter has a favorite. What works for one doesn't always work for another. I believe markers have to be tested to find a satisfactory marker. I am also surprised at those who love the disappearing markers - fixon, steam, in air. While the color may disappear, the chemical from the ink or chalk is still in the fabric. I guess if you don't see the mark it is ok yet an invisible chemical is eating up the fabric.
    Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Sharon Shamber uses frixon pens and even tells you how to remove them.If she feels they are safe enough for her quilts that win big bucks in competitions then I can trust it for mine!
    Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM
    Power Poster

Any marking pens have not been a problem to remove. I don't iron after marking. I used a washable marker on the quilt I am sewing the binding on now. Will let you know if it does not wash out.
    Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM
    Banned

but......Charlotte Warr Anderson tested the Fixon pens and say they should not be used. So two quilters/teachers/designers of considerable reputation in the field have differing opinions.