Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav >
  • How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

• How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

Old 02-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Has anyone ever found replacement decals for machines other than Singer? I have a Free N. 5 head that could use a new decal on the bed. I know, I'm searching for something that probably doesn't exist. Any tips? Thanks.
    ~ Cindy
    Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by tropit
    Has anyone ever found replacement decals for machines other than Singer? I have a Free N. 5 head that could use a new decal on the bed. I know, I'm searching for something that probably doesn't exist. Any tips? Thanks.
    ~ Cindy
    If you have a good original of the artwork you can digitise it (scan or photograph it then import and trace with a vector drawing program) and print on waterslide inkjet paper.

Sounds really simple, the hard bit is really the tracing. If you're good with a bezier pen (vector drawing tool), it's not hard at all. There are tutorials/instructions for recreating waterslide decals all over the web, but becoming good with a bezier pen takes days of practice (well, it took me days).

Once you have the vector drawing, you can release it to the world, sell it (after all, you did the work) or just sell waterslide decals like others do.

Make sure the decals aren't under any copyright, though. It's unlikely considering the age of the machines, but best to check: There are a lot of patent trolls out there looking for innocent people to rob, and the law usually allows them to.
    Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Thanks for that tip. I was kinda hoping that someone else has already done the hard part LOL. I've never used a Bezier pen, but I'm pretty artsy and can draw fairly well. I agree about the copyrights. However, I think those have long expired by now as this machine is about 100 years old.
    ~ Cindy

Ahhhh! I know what a Bezier pen is now!!! It's the fountain pen tool in Photoshop! And yes, I do know how to use it. I don't play with it very often, but at least I have it to practice with. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Last edited by tropit; 02-06-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM

OK...more questions about decals. (Sorry, I don't know why I'm so chatty today. I've been all over this board this afternoon...please bear with me.)

If you print a decal out on your computer printer, then you won't get that metallic paint that is on the original machine. I'm not sure I'd like that. I think it might be OK for a more recent make, s/a a Singer 500 series, where the decals are just plain brown. So, how else can you repair the lost decal details on machines that don't have replacement decals available? What about using gold leaf and a stencil? Gold metallic paint and a very steady hand? ~ Cindy
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM
    Banned

they actually make waterslide decals in metallic. Bother silver and gold. Yes, you can print colors on top of those as well.

There are some folks making them and selling the on fleabay (I've bought three)
    Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Well here's something to peruse, related to repairing decals. http://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/201...de-decals.html Think she might be a QBer?
    Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Great videos!!
    Sandy
    Old 09-09-2014, 04:57 PM

great videos
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:54 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
    Well here's something to peruse, related to repairing decals. http://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/201...de-decals.html Think she might be a QBer?
    If you read further into her blog, she's done another machine since then and it's even prettier than the first one.

Cari
    Old 09-27-2014, 05:56 AM

I will have to come back to these. Right now my grandmother's old treadle won't even move, but I'm hoping with some loving care she might actually go again. I know a super- oiling session did wonders for my Kenmore which hadn't been touched for a while.

~ Carla ~