Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • NOW I see... >
  • NOW I see...

• NOW I see...

Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart
    I've only been quilting about a year. Have a Janome mc6600P. I kept wondering what the big deal was about quilting a full-sized quilt on it because the two big quilts I've done weren't bad. I must have used Quilters Dream batting on those, because now I'm doing an 80x80 with Warm & White. Geez, what a heavy hard "wrassling" match...I was going to do a lot of quilting on this-I love this top & a member here was kind enough to send me the pattern when I was looking for it. Stitch in the ditch is all this baby is gonna get now. Wow
    Which Quilter's Dream batting did you use? I have always used Warm and White and am interested in something lighter. Was it cotton, polyester, something else? I just googled and there are many different types. I like being able to not have to quilt closer than 8 inches...but sure would like something not quite as heavy.

Your quilt is beautiful! You might find supporting your quilt with your ironing board to your left, perpendicular to your sewing table/desk could help with quilting the larger quilts. I just sit mine next to me, moving it down to the height of my desk.

Dina
    Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Dina, the Select Natural Cotton & it can be quilted 8" apart.It comes in white & black too.

I have a six foot heavy folding table from my Dad's old classroom, so the quilt is all on the table to my left, but my machine is not set-in level with the table surface.
    Old 08-24-2014, 07:39 PM

Love your quilt! Lovely pattern and colors. Love the idea of a little more quilting in the white, too.
    Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 AM
    Power Poster

When I started quilting in the 80s, I was taught to roll up the quilt and throw it up on my shoulders. I tried that once and didn't like it. The solution is simple, support your quilt. Use anything available in the garage or any room such as shelf, TV table or ironing board. Find any way to support the quilt. I have a piece of board that sits on a drawer and then the bookcase located behind me. I designed my quilting area based on HOW BEST to support the quilt. Recently, there have been threads showing the use of some sort of suspenders. As long as you support the quilt, you can quilt a Queen size easily. I quilted my Avatar using my Bernina 1530. I still do use my old Singer sewing desk I got for a graduation gift in 1970.
    Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 AM

MDEGENHART - your quilt top is Great! with beautiful colors and awesome piecing! Nice work!

Nan
    Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    MDEGENHART - your quilt top is Great! with beautiful colors and awesome piecing! Nice work!

Nan
    I agree with Nan You've done a super job and the colours make it such a "happy" quilt
    Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Than you for the compliments.I think this one is pretty & it has the deep bright blue as borders, which really pulls it together. I like it a lot.
    Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 PM
    Power Poster

Sew beautiful. ....
    Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 PM

That is so very pretty. Great job.
    Old 08-26-2014, 03:39 AM

Great quilt. It's beautiful!