Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to build my stash >
  • How to build my stash

• How to build my stash

Old 10-09-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I wish I had never built my stash. Styles change and so does my taste in fabric. If I had it all to do over again I'd not have a stash only a scrap bin if necessary. Now I think about all the money wasted on fabric I really don't care for anymore.
    Oh, oh!! Time for a destashing sale here on the board! We love those sales! Hugs and smiles!
    Old 10-25-2014, 06:37 AM

oh boy, i am sooo not the person to ask. lol... i have so much fabric, that 4 generations down the road would not have to buy fabric..when i started collecting fabric, i could get great quality fab from joanns for 1.00 a yard and wen i was working there i could use my discount.. i would buy fabric by the bolts and if there was a limit i took hubs and kids with, (no kidding) i said i had a lot (understatement).. i could probably clothe the homeless. my kids are forever telling me to get rid of it before i die, they want no part of it.

when i do buy i always think, about the backing, because you will need such a large amount. so i buy 5 or more yards, because i dont know what i will do for the back, my go to pattern is the log cabin and now i have been saving reds for this occasion.
    But i also love scrappies, and i am working on one for my dgd in pinks.
    Old 10-25-2014, 07:10 AM

My stash has been building over the last 5 years. I have a bookcase filled with fabric. Mine consists of lots of themes and seasons for some reason. I have a collection of holiday fabrics, food fabrics, novelty fabric, etc. I buy a couple yards during each holiday or season when they are on sale. My biggest collection is my 1930's reproduction fabrics. I LOVE them. I found awesome deals on Ebay and that really padded my collection.

A Walmart near me just got in over 4000 bolts of fabric and is selling it for $1.50 a yard!!! It was tucked away and forgotten in a warehouse, so it is a few years old. Some have dates back to 2000. But it is in excellent condition and all is quilt store quality. My DD and I bought over $100 between us. I got almost 15 yards of 1930's reproductions.

Look around for really good buys on fabric and you won't feel so guilty if you don't use it right away. A couple yards is always a good choice. I know I will eventually use my fabrics but if not, they will fall to my oldest DD and DGD. My youngest DD loves yarn and not fabric. LOL!!
    Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM

I was working on a new project the other day, and it became clear that the original idea I'd had was not working. If I didn't have a stash, I would have had to put it all away until I could go fabric shopping. Instead, I found the perfect substitute fabrics in my stash, and was able to continue. That's one of the advantages of having a stash. Another is that you can't always find all the perfect fabrics for a project in one store at one time; having a stash allows you to combine fabrics from various time periods together in one quilt.
    Old 11-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I was working on a new project the other day, and it became clear that the original idea I'd had was not working. If I didn't have a stash, I would have had to put it all away until I could go fabric shopping. Instead, I found the perfect substitute fabrics in my stash, and was able to continue. That's one of the advantages of having a stash. Another is that you can't always find all the perfect fabrics for a project in one store at one time; having a stash allows you to combine fabrics from various time periods together in one quilt.
    I really can't imagine not having a stash. It enables a person to sew--really sew a lot. I mean, "a lot"! Plus, not everyone has the luxury of having a fabric store within a few minutes drive. Just like we don't all go food shopping daily (we like to have a pantry), we don't all shop for new fabrics for every project, i.e., we have a "fabric pantry" or stash.