Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting with satin >
  • Quilting with satin

• Quilting with satin

Old 11-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Quilting with satin

Have any of you ladies ever quilted with satin? I just recently finished quilting an all satin baby blanket for a customer of mine who will be giving it to a new great niece when she is born.

I had never done one before & believe me this one was a very stressful undertaking. It was made entirely of satin on the front & the back with lace all around & I quilted roses on it with my longarm. It came out beautiful but I was so stressed making it that I've told her No more please.

Satin is not a very forgiving fabric to work with so I had to be extra careful with my stitching. I told her that I would be willing to make more for her but only using the satin on the borders & binding.

If anyone has any helpful hints they care to share on an easy way to quilt with satin I would be most grateful for your directions.

Thank you,
    Mary C
    Old 11-11-2014, 02:57 PM
    Power Poster

​There are pictures of a breathtaking baby quilt done on white satin on QB. The background had feathered wings and a halo and her Grandaughter in a red dress in the middle. It was done by hcarpanini and search for it under the title My Christmas Angel.

Last edited by Tartan; 11-11-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Old 11-11-2014, 04:31 PM

did you take pictures? I would love to see your quilt
    Old 11-11-2014, 06:45 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    ​There are pictures of a breathtaking baby quilt done on white satin on QB. The background had feathered wings and a halo and her Grandaughter in a red dress in the middle. It was done by hcarpanini and search for it under the title My Christmas Angel.
    Found this link to the photo: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t209131.html

Beautiful!!!
    Old 11-12-2014, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    This is a digitized pattern done with robotics. So Harriett had the advantage of being able to use both hands to smooth out and manipulate the satin while the machine robotics did the stitching. It is a "whole 'nother ballgame" to attempt to LA satin when you don't have that advantage.
    Old 11-12-2014, 05:42 AM
    Power Poster

Satin wouldn't be a fabric I would want to use especially with the slickness and in a baby quilt too. Is the fabric washable ??