Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation >
  • Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation

• Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation

Old 05-05-2015, 02:13 AM

I recently purchased a Janome New Home JW7630 made exclusively for WalMart for $299.99. I wanted a machine with needle down and speed control. I have had the machine since November and really like it. It isn't complicated and it is very quiet.
    Old 05-05-2015, 04:30 AM

I purchased a Brother SQ9185 at Walmart for $200.00. Came with walking foot and other things that I can't remember. Has needle down, needle threader and a lot of decorative stitches. And drop in bobbin which I think a new sewer would like. Also easy to take out the cover for cleaning. I have been using it for six months, sewing a few hours every day andit runs well. The only other thing I might want is the thread cutter but I can live without it.
    Old 05-05-2015, 06:35 AM
    dms

I too would recommend a used machine. Some of the top machines for the long haul are Viking, Bernina and Pfaff. I think I would rather have a used one of these than a new Brother or other cheapee
    Old 05-05-2015, 08:03 AM

Janome DC1050 is $299 new and I own one and like it a lot. Also have a mechanical Kenmore 25 years old I adore, and a mechanical Brother I bought for $35 from Craigslist. It had been used once and sewing wasn't the seller's hobby after all. I also bought a new, never opened Brother 8080 PRW at a yard sale for $75 for my DIL and we both love it.
    Old 05-05-2015, 09:18 AM

Word to the wise, don't purchase a Brother machine from Walmart! These machines are usually very low end, are all plastic. If you need warranty work done on them, local dealers will tell you to send them to Brother. Brother also sends the machines that don't sell well in the dealerships to Walmart. For instance, the one that has the drop in thread canister. A disaster in the dealerships, got sent to Walmart.

The one machine that I would recommend is the CS6000i and I have seen that one listed here several times.

It weighs in at just 9 pounds, and is their entry level computerized machine. I bought mine over 6 years ago and have not had any problems with it. You can find it on Amazon for about $145 average price, give or take a few dollars. I use it for my travel machine because my Brother Quilt Club 1000 is much to heavy to lug around.

I love it so much, that even recommend it to my entry level quilting students. Easy to use, portable and will do anything the larger machines will do. It even comes with an extension table. It does not come with a case, but Joann's as a rolling case for around $39 that it would fit in perfectly.

I have taken this machine on the plane with me, it fits beautifully into my rolling computer case! Watch the look on the TSA agents as it goes through the scanner, priceless!!
    Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Well, I bought my Brother at WalMart and it's a pleasure to use. Don't remember the model number but it's embroidery machine too. Think I paid $300 for it. Bought one for my daughter without embroidery module and she loves it too. They both came from WalMart.
    Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 PM

I was just in my LQS today for my new machine class for my Bernina 780. As I was leaving I talked to the repair guy about inexpensive machines - for classes, etc. He told me that there is a Bernette (lower end of Bernina line) that is around $200. I own two Berninas and love them both they are well made machines. I would definitely check one out before spending the same amount at Walmart for a lesser quality machine.
    Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry to say that the Bernette line is not good. They are made the same way that other lower end machines are made. My guess is that the Walmart brother machines are both stronger and more reliable in part because they are popular and therefore benefit from lower production costs. Also, if you don't like the machine it's easy to return. Many dealerships will not take a machine return; they will only exchange.
    Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JustOneMoreYard
    Word to the wise, don't purchase a Brother machine from Walmart! These machines are usually very low end, are all plastic. If you need warranty work done on them, local dealers will tell you to send them to Brother. Brother also sends the machines that don't sell well in the dealerships to Walmart. For instance, the one that has the drop in thread canister. A disaster in the dealerships, got sent to Walmart.

The one machine that I would recommend is the CS6000i and I have seen that one listed here several times.

It weighs in at just 9 pounds, and is their entry level computerized machine. I bought mine over 6 years ago and have not had any problems with it. You can find it on Amazon for about $145 average price, give or take a few dollars. I use it for my travel machine because my Brother Quilt Club 1000 is much to heavy to lug around.

I love it so much, that even recommend it to my entry level quilting students. Easy to use, portable and will do anything the larger machines will do. It even comes with an extension table. It does not come with a case, but Joann's as a rolling case for around $39 that it would fit in perfectly.

I have taken this machine on the plane with me, it fits beautifully into my rolling computer case! Watch the look on the TSA agents as it goes through the scanner, priceless!!
    I had that machine....worked great for about 6 months....long story short, it died, no warranty, repairs would have cost more than the machine itself, all plastic/nylon parts....will never buy another cheap machine.....definitely look for a good used machine
    Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 PM

I guess my question is... does your son have a wood shop? Would he be happy with a 300 dollar table saw? A 300 dollar lathe? I am not an advocate of multi-thousand dollar machines, I work on a 40 year old Bernina that I picked up for 350.00 just serviced at a sewing machine canter. A trade in I am sure on a multi-thousand dollar machine. But then again, I looked at the machine, listened to the machine, bought it from a reputable dealer who stood behind his work when I found it sewed crooked. Fixed it right and 9 years later, still runs like a top. Convince your son to either put in the time to learn about what he is buying used or pay up a little more for a mid-level machine with a good reputation.

tim in san jose (who appreciate good tools and throws junk ones away)