Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Opinions on BabyLock Jane >
  • Opinions on BabyLock Jane

• Opinions on BabyLock Jane

Old 12-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Opinions on BabyLock Jane

I am thinking about getting a BabyLock Jane for Christmas. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it? My friend is a BabyLock dealer and is close geographically to me. (5 minutes by car) So the service is not an issue. I know you all love your Juki machines. But, in the name of preserving friendship and shopping local, that is not an option for me at this time. I already have a Viking I love so the Jane would be my at-home piecing machine- and maybe I would do some FMQ with it. What do you Jane owners think about your machines?
    Old 12-13-2015, 12:20 PM
    Power Poster

Have you tried it out?? I always believe you need to test drive the machine like a car before considering purchasing it. I still am quilting on my old Bernina 1530. I knew I was buying a quality machine back then and no regrets. We should compare between you and me who has the most UFOs.
    Old 12-13-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by UFOs Galore
    I am thinking about getting a BabyLock Jane for Christmas. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it? My friend is a BabyLock dealer and is close geographically to me. (5 minutes by car) So the service is not an issue. I know you all love your Juki machines. But, in the name of preserving friendship and shopping local, that is not an option for me at this time. I already have a Viking I love so the Jane would be my at-home piecing machine- and maybe I would do some FMQ with it. What do you Jane owners think about your machines?
    there are 3 user reviews on Sewing Pattern Review, if interested.
    Old 12-13-2015, 06:39 PM

Thank you slbram for the "heads up" about Sewing Pattern Review. I went to the site and read the reviews.
    Maniac Quilter.. I have tried it out. I liked sewing with it. I realize there is a learning curve with new machines. I think the information I am looking for is about its longevity/reliability and are you glad you purchased it. Were you able to get used to it and did the Jane live up to expectations.
    Old 12-13-2015, 06:57 PM

If you plan to free motion quilt on it, then take a quilt sandwich and try it out on it.
    Old 12-13-2015, 07:07 PM

I love my Jane! Great for piecing and FMQ. I've had it 2 years - no issues with it at all.
    Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 PM

I purchased my Jane in July from my dealer. I love the machine. I have no FMQ skills yet, but I've quilted 3 baby and 2 twin quilts straight line (with and without a walking foot) and I'm very happy with the stitch quality. The bobbin winder is terrific; the noise level is fine, not loud, but she doesn't purr because she's a heavier-duty mechanical girl. Here's what I wish was a little better (but I'm not really complaining just laying out my observations):
    You'll struggle a bit loading the bobbin unless you have skinny fingers - it's awkward to get in there.
    The needle plate is not completely flat on the bed which causes issues when I'm piecing. So I cut up an old credit card and taped it between the needle plate and the edge of the bed and now the whole surface is the same level.
    I cannot figure out the needle threader, and I'm not the only one who says this.

I purchased my machine for $680 which to me is a great price. And oh yes, Jane will sew with any thread I feed her.
    Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 PM

I have the Baby lock Elizabeth and the Crescendo, love them both!!!
    Haven't tried the Jane but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Babylock again.
    Previously I owned 2 Berninas and sold one to buy the Elizabeth. I know several ladies that have bought the Babylock and have never been sorry. Jmho.
    Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM

Thank you all for your helpful responses about the Jane. I ordered mine today.
    Old 01-09-2016, 06:36 AM

I love my Jane! No regrets whatsoever! I had tried out a few machines at a Sewing expo & just loved everything about the Babylock Jane.
    Maureen