Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A question for Paper Piecers >
  • A question for Paper Piecers

• A question for Paper Piecers

Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval
    This is a wallhanging. So it will never get washed.

I'll try running the back of the seam ripper along the stitching lines and get some pliers out.

I do have a quilt bee to go to in a week or so. Maybe I'll work on it there. Perhaps I'll get some help. Although it does make quite a mess. I could sit and chat while doing it.
    Even more reason not to worry about every little bit of paper. If it is a wallhanging no one will ever know there is still a few pieces of paper clinging to the seam allowances. It won't cause the wallhanging to hang oddly and it won't harm the fabric. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Trapunta
    Yes, it's a pain, but paper piecing allows you to piece some pretty intricate patterns. You can remove the paper when watching TV which makes it seem less of a chore. Set aside some time, turn on the TV, and keep some needle-nose tweezers handy for the tough spots.
    This is what I do. I use the cheapest paper I have and shorten my stitch length. That seems to help a lot.
    Old 08-04-2017, 09:36 AM

I use a pair of bent tweezers similar to the one that's used for sergers.
    Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Some paper is much easier to remove than others. For me, the easiest to remove is the manila paper in the Scribble Pad from the dollar store. I also make paper piecing removal an "event". Movie, ice tea, feet up.
    Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 PM
    Power Poster

I have tried every paper that has ever been referred to as paper piecing paper. I stick with lightweight vellum to tear out ( easiest to take out, no tiny bits) or Stable Stuff that is left in . Check wholesale online paper manufacturers for the vellum by the ream. One ream should last you for decades. Amazon has 50 sheet packs for about $7 by Darice.

https://www.rickytims.com/online-sto...-sheets-8-5x11
    Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 PM

When I did my paper piecing I wet a qtip with water and ran it down my stiching. It mad the pieces come off very easily.
    Old 08-05-2017, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by hybearn8er
    When I did my paper piecing I wet a qtip with water and ran it down my stiching. It mad the pieces come off very easily.
    That sounds promising. I'll give it a try.
    Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 AM
    Power Poster

Shorten stitch length ( I use 18 stitches per inch) the paper pops right off. When I'm working on a piece with lots of close/ tiny pieces I tend to print my pattern on thin muslin or lightweight interfacing instead of paper- then I can just leave it in instead of removing. I love paper piecing.
    Old 08-05-2017, 04:50 AM

I've used the wet Q-tip method successfully. I also find that tugging on opposite sides of the block and twisting it a bit makes the paper tear along the seams, which makes removal much easier. I would start here I'd you're really worried about the fabric running, as it avoids water.

The method that looks easiest, but terrifies me the most, is what MarionsQuilts describes here: Best way to remove paper piecing paper!. She put the whole top in the washing machine, and it worked like magic! I'm not brave enough to try this yet, but I have that same JN snowflake kit sitting on my sewing desk waiting for me, and I would really like a quick way of removing the papers. Whatever method you go with, please let us know how it works!
    Old 08-05-2017, 06:33 AM

The washing machine method sounds good. I would be afraid the little paper bits would clog the pump in the washing machine. I love the Ricky Timms stable stuff. That is what I used in my avatar. I did all 50 of Carol Doaks paper pieced stars. I didn't have to remove any paper.