Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Yo Yo Quilts >
  • Yo Yo Quilts

• Yo Yo Quilts

Old 09-18-2022, 06:51 AM

Default Yo Yo Quilts

I have been searching for what to do with all my yo yos I have sewn together. I have not seen if people put a backing of some kind on them before using them as a quilt. Not quite sure what to do with them. My sister found a vintage one, looks like it is made out of clothes, ( shirts, blouses) some polyester, few cotton and sent it to me. I washed it, very dirty and replaced the ones that came off it or were just shredded. I have two different ones from my scraps of quilting cotton, different sizes, and still not sure how to use them.
    Old 09-18-2022, 07:14 AM

I've often wondered if this quilt had backing. doesn't look like it did.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	me with yo-yo's.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	640541  
    Old 09-18-2022, 07:34 AM

The yo-yo quilt I remember had a shiny purple backing, that showed through the yo-yos, and was used as a bedspread.
    Old 09-18-2022, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
    I have been searching for what to do with all my yo yos I have sewn together. I have not seen if people put a backing of some kind on them before using them as a quilt. Not quite sure what to do with them. My sister found a vintage one, looks like it is made out of clothes, ( shirts, blouses) some polyester, few cotton and sent it to me. I washed it, very dirty and replaced the ones that came off it or were just shredded. I have two different ones from my scraps of quilting cotton, different sizes, and still not sure how to use them.
    I found this link with 15 ideas! Looks like they don't need a backing but you can if you want. 15 Fun Yo-Yo Quilt Ideas (quiltdom.com)
    Old 09-18-2022, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

I took this picture in the grocery store during the 2012 Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. This one doesn't appear to have a backing.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sisters 158.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	640543  
    Old 09-18-2022, 08:32 AM
    Power Poster

Since it is hand sewn, I would worry about it falling apart if used as is. I think I would find a nice sheet in a colour I liked and machine stitch the yo-yo top to the sheet in lines.
    Old 09-18-2022, 08:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Since it is hand sewn, I would worry about it falling apart if used as is. I think I would find a nice sheet in a colour I liked and machine stitch the yo-yo top to the sheet in lines.
    This what I thought too.
    Old 09-18-2022, 09:00 AM

Default Yo yo quilt

My Mom made my yo yo quilt out of scraps and it doesn't have a lining...I have it hanging on my quilt ladder in my sewing room, admire it everyday...I lost her at 93 in 2004...she quilted and made quilts most of my life and I'm 80 now...I have several of hers..and she pieced and quilted by hand...with newspaper patterns...I cherish all the quilts I have made by her...enjoy yours...
    Old 09-18-2022, 11:22 AM

So many wonderful answers and pictures too! Thank you! I use strong hand quilting thread to sew my yo yos with and they seem to hold together well. I may put one on a wall to display it. Still not sure about the vintage one as it is more fragile and not as well made as mine.
    Old 09-18-2022, 11:52 AM

My grandmother was born in 1889 and quilted as long as I remember. She made the YoYo quilts among so many others but hers never had a backing. This seemed so time consuming to me, even watching someone gifted with patience and mastering tiny hand sewing. A co worker of mine started one years ago. She intended to make it bedspread size but managed to get runner size and just displays it on a rack. She did a great job but got discouraged because it was so much work. They are pieces to be admired, for sure.