Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Harbor Freight cutting blade review >

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM

for a few minutes here as I was reading these posts I'm thinking- uh oh- what did I do? I was out of the area for work today- saw a Harbor Freight and stopped in. $1.49 for 2 blades in a package and I (gulp, I can't believe I'm saying this) took all of them- 17 packages.

I didn't want to be a piggy but there must be quilters who buy them at the local one because they never have them. So I indulged. Going to try them this week end.

I was looking at buying bulk- generic ones 100 for $139 online. this means its 100 for $75, a better deal. So I did save $64.00.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Melrose V
I read several of the posts here about the carpet cutting blades available at Harbor Freight (HF) for a fraction of the cost of replacement rotary blades sold in the fabric & craft stores.

I wasn't 100% sure my old blade was dull but once in a while I noticed it didn't cut as well it had in the past.

Off I went to HF. Lucky me, the blades were on sale for $1.49! Wow, I better get a few! At home I open the package to find not one but TWO blades! Wow, what a deal! Two blades for $1.49!

First few cuts are perfect but after a few passes of cutting with it, I'm here to say "you get what you pay for". It appears that the blade isn't round. I can feel it while the blade is rolling and now I'm getting way more uncut areas than I ever got with my former blade.

Last night I put my "old" blade back on and it cuts like butter compared to the HF carpet cutting blade.

I could have saved my time, gas and money using a coupon and getting the correct blade in the first place. I'm sure these blades would cut carpet like butter but I'm just not satisfied with the way they cut fabric.

Hope this info helps someone thinking about using carpet cutting blades.
I completely agree with you - I tried 3 different packages and all the blades were inferior - I returned them and will only buy brand name blades from now on (with a 40 or 50% off coupon, that is).
Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 PM

I also tried them. I opened 3 packages and tried both blades in each and none of them would cut.