Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Who sews things besides quilts? >
  • Who sews things besides quilts?

• Who sews things besides quilts?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Doll clothes , dress'es, short outfits, totes, purse's, Iv tried almost everything at one time or another ,beading,crochetin,painting but I always go back to quilting
    Old 06-05-2011, 03:59 PM

I used to make my own clothes including tailored jackets but now I mainly quilt. Quilts always fit, even after you put on 20 lbs. I'll still make the occasional cardigan,t-shirt, or shorts but nothing that takes precise fitting. I also make all of our window coverings and throw pillows.
    Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 PM

I've been sewing all my life and have done just about everything. However, my first love has always been tayloring and costuming. I have made riding habits for horseback riders, including side-saddle habits with the apron that fits over the right knee when in the saddle. Have copied habits from pictures of 17th and 18th century riding habits. At present, am replacing the linings in several vintage habits and aprons. Just love seeing all the hand work by the early taylors that made these garments. Quilting is what I do with left over fabric. Have made several quilts from horse prints used to make carrying bags and pillows and other accessories. Just love to use everything up when I can. Also have joined a group that sews, knits, crochets all kinds of things for hospitals, nursing homes, shelters and kids in need. Keeps me out of trouble, although I have just discovered the vintage thread here and have started to rejuvinate my @1882
    New Home treadle and am having a great time!
    Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Does upholstering (sp?) cars and making wedding gowns count :lol:
    Sewing since I was 5 years old and that makes my sewing career 63 years long!

Ok, so I also make drapes, curtains, clothing etc. But they all take a backseat to quilting - my absolute sewing love.

:lol: Julie
    Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 PM

I made a lot of my kids' clothes until they got into their teens, and many of my own. I don't do as much garment construction as I used to; only once in awhile when I want something specific and can't find it in the store. I still do quite a bit of "home dec" stuff, Halloween costumes for the grandchildren, gifts like pajamas, robes and handbags. Over the years, I've accumulated a lot of fabric and I try not to buy much these days--just using it up.
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM

You sound like me. That's just what I do too. Crochet on occasion, easier for me to take with. Jan
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 PM

I have sew a lot of things from wedding dresses to baby clothes to upholstering furniture, boat cushions, to alterations. Still have my first sewing machine work just great.
    Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM

I do curtains since never can find curtains in right sizes for my windows. I made smocked dresses for my daughters and now for my granddaughter. Just starting trying to learn french hand sewing and heirloom sewing to make my granddaughter a christening gown which is a challenging as quilting, but alot less info and forums to turn to for help :( I had to change patterns as I could not learn how to do the hand stitching in time to get dress done as I am on deadline. Ended up with commercial pattern that is less complicated. But added some lace details so is uniquely made by me. I never realized how much info is available for quilters.
    Old 06-05-2011, 06:24 PM

I used to make my clothes and could even make my own patterns. I love to hand sew just got busy and am now coming back.
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM

wow, it is hard to find ridding outfit patterns, I know because I searched for a very long time and only found a few for my granddaughter