Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality >

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
... during WWII people...would take Bull Durham bags...and use the small piece of fabric for the white in their quilts.
There was an antique quilt displayed in the Bed Turning event (all antique quilts) at our October 2011 Quilter’s Day that had been made entirely out of tobacco bags. The bags were hand-dyed green and pink and then pieced together. I didn’t catch the date that it was made. It’s a wonderful quilt.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20111022_01.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 12-12-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Corrected the term "Bed Turning"
Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 AM

I have read all 5 pages of this thread and have to say I agree with everyone. I think most of us can tell "quality" when we see it, or feel it, and the cost is usually not indicative of that quality. I quilt for fun and the feeling of accomplishment it gives me. I love to see the look on the face of someone I give a quilt that says I really hit the mark, it is just what they would have made if they could. My quilts often have used clothing, LQS, Hancock's, Fabric Outlet and online fabrics all in the same quilt. Most of the quilts I make are used and well loved by my family. No one has ever complained about the "quality" of the fabric. Happy quilting everyone, enjoy the process!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 AM

well said. I've bought great fabric at Wal-Mart and not so great fabric at a LQS. You just have to watch what you buy.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Personally I buy fabrics from many sources if I like what I am feeling in the fabric and if the print or color is what I like.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Experience is still the best teacher!

I can understand how it can be hard for a "newbie" to "know" what is considered "good" from just reading a book or using the internet.

With the cost of fabric being comparatively high, one would want to avoid costly mistakes when selecting fabrics for a project.

There just is no substitute for handling fabric to learn how it will behave. (Which, for me, includes washing and drying it - before cutting it)