Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • MARCH 15, 2011 STARS BOM PICTURES >
  • MARCH 15, 2011 STARS BOM PICTURES

• MARCH 15, 2011 STARS BOM PICTURES

Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tinynedl
    Poker and Sew It, great blocks! I do like the variations that work their way in, whether by purpose or accident! Michelle, yes, you cut down the heavy line and sew the block 1/8th at a time, leaving a seam allowance past the paper where you cut on the line.

Here's my Alaska Star to go in my patriotic quilt. I would have finished sooner, but the cat helped.
    Very cool!! I think it's so fun to see all the different variations! I have finished 3/8ths of mine (LOL, I do one eighth every night) - can't wait to have it done!
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    I have looked at everyone's Alaska Star and I am totally in awe! I think I am too afraid of this one to even attempt it. I will, however, sleep on it before I give it up completely.

Thanks Seymoore, it is a lovely star!
    Don't give up on it! It's super fun - do what I do and only do an eighth at a time, then slowly piece them together. It makes it fun, but you don't get tired of it either. :)
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mstandridge
    please help me understand what the heavy diagnal line is on the block. do we make this block in 8th's and then set together? I just can't wrap my mind around this.

everyones blocks are just gorgeous!!!!!!!
    Yes, you will make 8 pieces and then sew them together so make sure you leave seam allowance on all sides. I neglected to do that on my first 2 and really had to work it to get it to look right. :-)
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM

I just went back and looked at all the blocks you all have made and I am in awe! I'm so glad I picked this block. I will definitely be making more, soon. ;-)
    Old 03-18-2011, 04:01 AM

This is a really beautiful star and everyone is doing an amazing job. I started mine yesterday. I would just like to say to those who feel intimidated by paper piecing, to just give it a try and post questions on the Board for help if they need it and they will be pleasantly surprised that they can learn this procedure. The church was the first one I did and I'm still learning, and I really enjoy doing it. You're all so wonderful here and so willing to help and those of us who are still learning really appreciate you.
    Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tinynedl
    Poker and Sew It, great blocks! I do like the variations that work their way in, whether by purpose or accident! Michelle, yes, you cut down the heavy line and sew the block 1/8th at a time, leaving a seam allowance past the paper where you cut on the line.

Here's my Alaska Star to go in my patriotic quilt. I would have finished sooner, but the cat helped.
    Awesome color combo love the red center sets the entire block off. thank you so much for your guidiance was really stumped. PP is not my thing, but have to admit it sure does make your point line up great, just have trouble wrapping my brain around sewing backwards and upside down. But by the end of this BOM I hope to have PP down to a science!
    Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM

BEGINNRS TO PP..DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THIS STAR. JUST listen to everyone. wrong side of material to wrong side of pattern. use PLENTY big enough pieces. i even have used a 12" piece and even up one corner, then after pressing cut of the extra... when you cut your block PATTERN IN half initially, number the lst half #1, then the 2nd half -- #2 in a red pen. on all of them. that way you know which 2 pieces to sew together later...pin and trim #1 on every block in the #1 section, then pin and trim every number 2. then pin, PRESS, and trim every #3. etc. GOOD LUCK. IT'S EASY.
    Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso
    BEGINNRS TO PP..DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THIS STAR. JUST listen to everyone. wrong side of material to wrong side of pattern. use PLENTY big enough pieces. i even have used a 12" piece and even up one corner, then after pressing cut of the extra... when you cut your block PATTERN IN half initially, number the lst half #1, then the 2nd half -- #2 in a red pen. on all of them. that way you know which 2 pieces to sew together later...pin and trim #1 on every block in the #1 section, then pin and trim every number 2. then pin, PRESS, and trim every #3. etc. GOOD LUCK. IT'S EASY.
    Thanks so much sewNso. I can use all the help I can get. Last month BOM was the 1st I have done, and had to tear out and tear out. I am still finding this technique so confusing!
    Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 AM

and each time after you press, and before you cut, stick a pin thru to make sure you have 1/4 inch on all sides. when i cut the pattern in half, and there was no seam allowence on that edge, i colored the edge red to remind me to add extra on that edge.
    Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Love everyone's block - haven't started mine yet.