Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room >

carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room

carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM

I had a painted cement floor, it was great. Now that we moved last Nov. The rooms in the new house are carpeted and I have a desk chair with wheels. It's a high/low shag. I would pull it out but we are moving to a bigger place with the hopes of wood or laminate for my "sewing room". If it was an indoor/outdoor carpet, I would be fine with it. But it takes some muscle's in my legs to move this chair around and if I were staying I would pull it in a heart beat.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:41 AM

wood for sure ....easy to sweep up instead of vacuuming
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM

I have hardwood, but if I had to do it again I would get a laminate floor. No need to worry about stratches, dents,and clean-up. Prior to this I had mexican tile and that was not so great when trying to layout a quilt to baste.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM

I have a tile floor. It's easy to clean and really durable.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 AM

My sewing/computer chair on wheels can zip around my sewing room because of my wood floors. Easy to travel, easy to clean. Small rug in front of my rocker when I am hand sewing.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 AM

I didn't read all 7 pages, but here is my 2 cents worth:
I had carpet in my old sewing room, but my new sewing room has a stained concrete floor.
Pins get caught in the carpet and you could find them with your foot! Office chairs roll too much on the concrete so I have to put down low-pile throw rugs in front of the machines. The concrete is nice and cool in the summer, but too cold in the winter. Carpet has to be vacuumed, the concrete can be swept or gone over with a dust mop. (This would also be true for vinyl or wood.)
I think, over all, I like the smooth floor better. The stained concrete looks very pretty and I think it's easier to keep clean. I live in a warm climate so the cold floor is only a problem for a couple of months. I just wear my shoes and socks.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM

tile floor easy to clean!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 AM

I had hardwood but it was not in the best shape so just put in carpeting yesterday and am happy with it. I also for the most part took all fabric and other sewing machine downstairs in the basement. Hopefully, it all will stay there even thou I will have to do the steps more so. I do have a cabinet and machine for upstairs so figure I will cut and pin and bring it up stairs to be finished. I am tired of being in a mess, especially, with white carpets.
Have a great day and what ever you decide you will be happy with it......(ah, on ?...when are we ever happy.)
bye for now. Ginny
Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewmagic
If you have wood do you like it in your sewing room vs. carpet? Or would you prefer the carpet. What are your preferences and why? We will have our carpets removed (one day) just wanted to know the pros and cons with wood or carpet.
I just can't wait to get the carpet out of my sewing room. It WAS offwhite. I would settle for the vinyl that is beneath it.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Because we have pets we have wood laminate and tile throughout the house. It’s much easier to keep clean. If I drop a pin or needle on the wood laminate it is a lot easier to find than in capeting.