Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room >

carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room

carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room

Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 AM

we took out all the carpet upstairs(where my sewing room is) and put laminate and i love it , it is so much easier to keep clean
Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Mine is carpeted. I have one of those office mat things for my chair area. Works fine for me.
It works fine for me, too. The carpet is very low pile. I've often wondered which is easier to keep up= carpet or flooring. My setup suits me and the room.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 AM

i had carpet.... hated it!!..... had it taken up and put down hardwood... love it. i can find pins when i drop them and don't have to worry about stepping on them!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i removed my carpet and installed laminate. it is so much easier to clean up [and see that it needs cleaning]. not only are there pieces of thread and fabric, but the dust from sewing needs more cleaning than i would do with the carpet.
I, too took out the carpet from my sewing room. Vac could never get all the threads up and I couldnt see pins I had dropped.
Also I think I have allrgies due to carpet in my bedrooms and living room. I am about to change that, too.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I have wood flors in my sewing room and love them - but as for vacuuming - that brings up a whole other issue - I spent the money for a Dyson in 2005 - that thing REALLY cleans the carpet that I do have and I have never had a vacuum last that long - It was worth the $300 I paid for no bags, no belts and no bother! I actually just got a different one what is good for hardwood floors and is portable without a cord
Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM

I have wood floors, easy to keep clean and I don't step on pins. I have carpet in my bedrooms and when I sew (handwork) there, I will end up stepping on a pin. Pins can get hooked down in the carpet where my vacuum cleaner can't get them.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM
KLO

Have wall to wall carpet in the sewing room but wish I had wood like we have in the first floor of our house.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM

I currently use my third bedroom which happens to be in the basement. Currently have carpet which will be coming up as soon as Daughter has time to remove it. I thought at first I would get linoleum but decided I want to have a 9 patch quilt pattern on the floor. My assistant reminded me that a certain store here has various tile colors which ppl who bought the full box brings back. So hopefully, I'll be able to have me a 9 patch
quilt made of tile when it is finished.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by Cottontop
Wooooooooooooood, of course! (if you can afford it). I pinched pennies and put down linoleum that looks like wood. So easy to tidy up, and you don't lose stuff in the carpet.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Had carpet throughout the house, and when we remodeled, took every bit of carpet out and replaced with wood laminate. Have area rugs in a couple of rooms. But definitely a personal preference, and have no intention of ever having carpet anywhere again, especially not in my toy room.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM

This is a GREAT ideal... 9 patch tiled quilt pattern!!! Wish I would have thought of this

Originally Posted by BobbiSue2009
I currently use my third bedroom which happens to be in the basement. Currently have carpet which will be coming up as soon as Daughter has time to remove it. I thought at first I would get linoleum but decided I want to have a 9 patch quilt pattern on the floor. My assistant reminded me that a certain store here has various tile colors which ppl who bought the full box brings back. So hopefully, I'll be able to have me a 9 patch
quilt made of tile when it is finished.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by Cottontop
Wooooooooooooood, of course! (if you can afford it). I pinched pennies and put down linoleum that looks like wood. So easy to tidy up, and you don't lose stuff in the carpet.