Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos >

Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos

Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos

Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
Hello everyone, I'm back, its just this is the first time I've had to post. The Quilt Festival was lots of fun I have 3 new UFO's or are they called WIP's at this point? I won't be working on them to much in the near future so either way they will be UFO's lol.
I am looking forward to working on some more FWS blocks, maybe this weekend. I love all the blocks you've posted.
Quilting Nina I really like the fabrics you used in your bowtie.
Darcene, I recognize that floral in your bowtie block.
Booklady, howmany of the FWS are you planning to make? What size? I love all the variety each has its own personality.
Quilting Nonie, did you get your blocks back? I hope they came home.
Well its good to be back, I tried to get online once at the hotel but got called away before I could say hi and last night when I came in my son came in and needed the computer right away so I wasn't able to check in til now.
I want to thank everyone for holding the fort while I was away.
I should be available in the evenings or at least this weekend in someone needs to get ahold of me again.
Muriel
Yes I did get my blocks back. We had a guild meeting tonight and the lady who picked them up gave them back to me. I gave her a great big hug!!!

So now that it's Wednesday again, I'm ONLY 6 blocks behind! I'm hoping for this weekend. My husband just got the new Halo game in the mail today. The "boys" are coming over for a big Halo night on Friday--which always makes me happy because I get to quilt! Then Saturday he has to fix someone's car--another big chance to quilt. I'm hoping I can knock off at least four.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
Hello everyone, I'm back, its just this is the first time I've had to post. The Quilt Festival was lots of fun I have 3 new UFO's or are they called WIP's at this point? I won't be working on them to much in the near future so either way they will be UFO's lol.
I am looking forward to working on some more FWS blocks, maybe this weekend. I love all the blocks you've posted.
Quilting Nina I really like the fabrics you used in your bowtie.
Darcene, I recognize that floral in your bowtie block.
Booklady, howmany of the FWS are you planning to make? What size? I love all the variety each has its own personality.
Quilting Nonie, did you get your blocks back? I hope they came home.
Well its good to be back, I tried to get online once at the hotel but got called away before I could say hi and last night when I came in my son came in and needed the computer right away so I wasn't able to check in til now.
I want to thank everyone for holding the fort while I was away.
I should be available in the evenings or at least this weekend in someone needs to get ahold of me again.
Muriel
If I can keep up with it, I hope to have one for my mom, sister, brother and daughter at the end of all this! The key is "keeping up"!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Nonnie,
So glad to hear you got your blocks back.
Booklady you certainly are ambitious to try to make 4 of these. Hope you don't plan to do many other projects this year.
But remember if you do fall behind the patterns will always be there and you can always come back and pick up where you left off.
Muriel
Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 AM

And, finally I'm caught up, blocks 9 and 10!

Block 9 -- Box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]103114[/ATTACH]

Block 10 -- Bowtie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]103164[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-103109.jpe   attachment-103159.jpe  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM

Beautiful blocks Evie! LOL! We actually have #'s 11, 12, 13 & 14 blocks right now...they're just under monthly & weekly blocks on the home page. You've done a super job on your stitching!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
Beautiful blocks Evie! LOL! We actually have #'s 11, 12, 13 & 14 blocks right now...they're just under monthly & weekly blocks on the home page. You've done a super job on your stitching!!!
Thank you! This project is the cat's meow -- I'm having so much fun. I posted blocks 11 through 14 earlier, and had thought about not posting the earlier ones. But now I'm glad I did. Thank you all for the kind words. Oooo, I love this board! :D
Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Alrighty then! Here's my next two blocks. I swear I was so close to quitting today. I have been paper piecing my blocks because I like the precision. But after doing #9, which wasn't difficult, just laborious I was not happy with the results---again. So today I tried #10. Between the fabric fraying out beyond the seam lines when I removed the freezer paper, I decided to do paperless foundation piecing. That was also just a nightmare that didn't give me any better results. I finally just cut the fabric from the templates. Much, much less headache, but blocks are still coming in 1/4" small. I use a scant 1/4" seam and have never had this problem.

I figure at least I'm being consistent, and I may have a slightly smaller quilt when I finish. What is 1/4" times how many rows across and down?

For better or worse, here they are.

#9 Box I love the colors on this one!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109193[/ATTACH]

#10 The contrast didn't come out as good as I hoped
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109194[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109188.jpe   attachment-109189.jpe  
Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 PM

I have heard that the templates from Farmer's Wife are not all accurate. I haven't heard if others have been having problems, since I haven't read every post on every thread.
All of your blocks are coming along fine, and the things you are learning will benefit you for many years to come.
When I first started quilting, it took me awhile to figure out that I was never going to get any better without actually doing something.
You are all on your way to "professional" - - Keep up the good work! <wave>
Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 AM

Nonnie all my blocks are coming out 1/4" smaller. Since it's all the blocks I'm not too concerned and like you figure my quilt will just be a tad smaller or I can use wider sashing. (Who am I kidding--I know I'm going to end up with like 200 potholders!!!) But they'll all be the same size LOL. I'm using templates, not pp. One block I did try pp I stretched the bias too much when I removed the paper. I'm enjoying working with templates.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 AM

Nonnie, I'm sorry this has been so frustrating. Good for you for not giving up! It seems it's been beneficial to have several methods available to use: pp, rotary, template. Something for everyone, and like you found, if one method doesn't work as well, try another one. Even with your rough time with these, your resulting blocks are beautiful!

As for blocks coming out 1/4" shy, would it help to block these to try to coax them into the right size? I haven't tried it before, but have read about it on the board here and people say it works if you only need to grow your blocks a smidge. If anyone tries and finds it successful, please let us know.