Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do for a living? >

What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM

well let's see...what I do is not to make a living. I was a stay at home mom. never worked outside the home except for a few months one Christmas time. The pay isn't really good, but I have lots of benefits, such as room and board, sewing room, I get to be in charge of the boss's checkbook, and I sleep with the Boss.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM

I had so many interesting careers lol. The first one...Professional Master Seamstress. I worked out of my home for years.

Next, Folk Artist, I traveled and taught for a major paint company and published a few designs in a few trade mags.

I opened a folk art studio and taught students for 3 years.

Quilting teacher, and ran a quilt store for a couple years for a friend.

Worked in retail (clothing) for a couple years.

Worked for a Forensic Engineer for another couple years....

I loved the craft industry. That is where my true calling was. I was lucky that I could pick and choose and try other things and found that I always returned to the crafty stuff.

I am happily retired now and guess what? I am still crafting...so that tells you that I have played all my life and earned a good living at it. lol.

When I was in my painting career, the enjoyable times were, when I had my shows and people would buy all my painted things and has such nice things to say. I did craft shows for 5 year and I did enjoy them so much. I loved meeting the people and talking to them.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Civil Servant/Government Employee - Committed for LIFE!
Started my career with the Social Security Administration working with disability claims processing, then moved on to working with the Department of Mental Health, and now am working for the Department of Corrections. Love my current job - I work as an analyst doing quality control work.

My quilting is my "mental health therapy" which I enjoy doing in my free time. If I had no family or friends, I would stay in my quilting studio in all my free time.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
Originally Posted by Caroltee
After reading everyone’s post and all your exciting careers….. really makes me feel like a nobody
I loved the way you described how as a Mom you have held every job possible. That certainly makes you somebody. Beware that many of us have or had jobs only because we need to help bring money into the home. at least in my case, I wished I could be home with the kids rather than out working. Everyone is somebody, because we all compliment each other. As a working mother, do you know how many times I was helped by a stay home mom when I couldn't find affordable day care for my kids? or when the kids were sick and couldn't go to day care? A stay home Mom was always my back up and I was happy to know she was there to help. Give yourself credit. I am sure your kids love what you have done for them.
Amen to that....A stay at home Mom is a "jack of all trades". It can be the hardest job of all with no monitary reward. It is continuous commitment to everything and everybody. Your a" domestic engineer" and be proud of your position.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:31 AM

Retired in 05, after teaching high school for 20 years. Loved it.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
well let's see...what I do is not to make a living. I was a stay at home mom. never worked outside the home except for a few months one Christmas time. The pay isn't really good, but I have lots of benefits, such as room and board, sewing room, I get to be in charge of the boss's checkbook, and I sleep with the Boss.
You are to funny!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971
It is interesting to see how most of the nurses got burnt out. I was an RPN at a general hospital, first on a pediatric floor which I loved, andthen on a med/surg floor for almost 25 years. I got so burnt out too. I worked my butt off and was so tired after working a 12 hour shift. I remember thinking that if one more person asked for a bedpan I would scream. I applied at a psych hospital and got in. I am so grateful. I love it.
Do they allow you to keep sharp objects? You said you applied at a psych hospital and got in. Hopefully they let you out occasionally. LOL
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I had so many interesting careers lol. The first one...Professional Master Seamstress. I worked out of my home for years.

Next, Folk Artist, I traveled and taught for a major paint company and published a few designs in a few trade mags.

I opened a folk art studio and taught students for 3 years.

Quilting teacher, and ran a quilt store for a couple years for a friend.

Worked in retail (clothing) for a couple years.

Worked for a Forensic Engineer for another couple years....

I loved the craft industry. That is where my true calling was. I was lucky that I could pick and choose and try other things and found that I always returned to the crafty stuff.

I am happily retired now and guess what? I am still crafting...so that tells you that I have played all my life and earned a good living at it. lol.

When I was in my painting career, the enjoyable times were, when I had my shows and people would buy all my painted things and has such nice things to say. I did craft shows for 5 year and I did enjoy them so much. I loved meeting the people and talking to them.

You snuck Forensic Engineer in there!! Lol.

So neat to know a little more about everyone!!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM

i have run almost every kind of printing equipment there is . and ran engraving press'es also. I retired about 7 years ago but my back and knees were already shot by then . But i loved it and kind of miss no having somewhere to go every morning
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Fresh out of college (degree in computer programming), I went to work for an engineering firm. Billing, answering the phone, payroll, etc. They had a dinosaur of a computer, horribly programmed. So I wrote my own programs, and got all the paperwork streamlined. Over time, I became interested in doing their computerized blueprints (CAD drafting), and did that for awhile. Eventually I went into business for myself, doing subcontract work for them, and other engineers and architects. (You've probably heard of the Tennessee Aquarium / IMAX Theater. I drew a good part of the structural plans for those. :) ) Did that for around 7 years.

Then I discovered eBay, and decided that working from home in my jammies was MUCH more fun. Did that for 9 years. I got in on it at the beginning, and the prices people would pay for stuff was amazing! :mrgreen:

Now I sell occasionally on Etsy, just as a hobby.

Mostly I'm a domestic goddess. :mrgreen: