Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a challenge for you all >

I have a challenge for you all

I have a challenge for you all

Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 PM

I will do one not sure if it will go to Nursing Home (I'm retired nurse who use to work at one of the local ones) but also my husband is a veteran so will try to do one for the hospital/nursing home too.

Patti Sue
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 PM

That's a great idea. Now just have to decide where. There are so many places that have the need.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 AM

I'm In!!!!
Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I'm already thinking Christmas and what everyone's faces will look like when they open their gifts. Then for some reason, my mind strayed to those who don't get gifts at Christmas, or don't get to see their families. And it made me sad, all those frowns and sad people on Christmas.

So I decided I was going to make 1 extra quilt and give it to one of the local nursing homes. I was watching All in the Family last night, and I think this is where the idea came from, and Edith was working at the Sunshine Home and the one lady died and was sort of upset that her daughter hadn't come to visit her in a while, and how she was sad.

So I'm going to make 1 extra quilt, even just a lap quilt, and take it to the nursing home and have it all tied up in a nice simple red bow, and ask the front desk to take it to someone who doesn't receive many visitors.

SO my challenge to you is to make one extra quilt, just one, it can be a patchwork or anything you like, and take it to either a nursing home, a homeless shelter and just donate it to the shelter, or the local children's home because I know every year ours goes around and asks for gifts to give the children so that each child can open at least 1 present.

I'll keep you posted on my quilt and you can post yours as well if you want.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:49 AM

Great idea. I too will start thinking about it. I live very near
a nursing home. What size do you ladies consider a good
lap quilt.??

flo from NNY
Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 AM

I'm doing one for my friend who is starting chemo for ovarian cancer. She was thrilled when I asked her if she had a choice for color. She chose blue. I guess I'm guilty of doing these things so automatically, that I don't sometimes realize how it makes the recipient feel. She says she'll think of me and our friendship each time she has to use it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM

My daughter works at the local nursing home. She has 2 women that she dearly loves. She said their blankets are too thin and the comforters make them hot, so I had 2 quilts handy and she took them to her ladies and they loved them. Makes me so happy to help.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 AM

I already decided last week that I would make as many children's quilt tops that I can between now and Christmas and get finished to give away to homeless, or abused mothers and children's shelter.

I already have enough pieces cut to make at least ten quilt lap blankets (whatever one wants to call them). All I have to do is become more aggressive with my sewing them together and than getting them quilted.

It will be interesting to see how many I can get done. I just finished 2 scrappy tops in the last two weeks....one that is almost king size, another twin size and the other for a toddler.

So actually that is about 13 in the works with what I have already cut out and started sewing.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Good for you. I love making quilt tops - especially charm quilts, but I have a terrible time getting motivated to quilt them.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Flo Pierce
Great idea. I too will start thinking about it. I live very near
a nursing home. What size do you ladies consider a good
lap quilt.??

flo from NNY
I was told that they shouldn't be wider than 36 inches so they won't get caught in the wheels and no longer than 48 inches. I'm thinking about doing a sampler quilt with 12 inch blocks, but then I wouldn't have any sashing...must think about this!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM

I have actually carried on a tradition my grandmother starting using scrap yarn. I crochet wheelchair lap blankets for local elderly and the nursing home. You have inspired me, though!! Instead of just one...I am setting a goal of one a month until Christmas! Good luck everyone!