Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do for a living? >

What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:14 AM

I am a RN on a psych unit. Wish I could go something else
that paid the same.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 AM
SEW

I am an RN at a nursing home. Love working with the residents...where else can you go to work and get a big smile and a hug from one of your clients!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 AM

First let me thank all the nurses on the board. Its a hard job and I am very grateful to all the nurses I have had after surgeries. My first 2 were in a hospital where the care was substandard at best. My second two were at Emory in Atlanta. Best nurses in the world. I tried my best to not call them unless it was necessary. I was told by one nurse that they wished all there patients were like me. I always said Thank you and that I understood it could be a nasty job.
Now my jobs. I was a SAHM for many years. After my divorce, in 1990 I worked in Kroger, as a security guard at night at NCR, Sewed bathing suits for a bit, worked as a leasing agent in an apartment complex , as a parttime sales in a upholstery fabric store, Worked in a herb shop for a few years and finally managed two shops loved that job. Worked for CVS hated that one. Then worked in a medical supply shop and went to school to be a massage therapist, loved doing that and I was a good 20 years older than the other students or more. I was 48 lol . However a aortic anyersum was discovered and after badly done surgery and following the hernia surgery I could no longer work. Took me 6 years to get my disablility.My second surgery for the same things was at Emory last year and this year. I just moved from GA ( my daughter had enough of me) to VA to live with my brother (blessings on him) because my disablity isn't enough for me to live on. I have good days and bad ones and after 9 years am finally learning to live with them
I get my own quilt room here yea!!!
So many different people are drawing to quilting. You are all so interesting..
Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 AM

I am currently a SAHM - it's a bit ironic that it's what I always wanted when my kids were little. They are now 13 and 17 and mom is finally home all the time - stopped working full-time 5 years ago after my 5th back surgery. I was an Xray Tech for 13 years and loved my job and my patients. Like most other healthcare workers from the board - seems there is a fair amount of burn out in radiology as well as lack of proper staffing.
it's a shame that in medicine these days it sems we have too many chiefs and not enough indians. Lots of overpaid folks in middle and upper management - need more employees in actual patient care- OK down off my soap box for now.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 AM

CraftyBear You summed it all up so well. Too many chiefs
and not enough Indians/
Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 AM

I'm a nurse, work weekends at a nursing home. Love my lil old people-so sweet!
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM

As Case manager for Hospice, it's pretty hard to loose my patients. They almost turn into my friends! I lost 5 in the past 2 weeeks. But I know that I made a difference to them, one visit at a time. I had been a trauma nurse and OR nurse for ages, so this was a huge career jump, but it sure feels right.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
As Case manager for Hospice, it's pretty hard to loose my patients. They almost turn into my friends! I lost 5 in the past 2 weeeks. But I know that I made a difference to them, one visit at a time. I had been a trauma nurse and OR nurse for ages, so this was a huge career jump, but it sure feels right.
Yes, as a home health aide, I did some hospice work. I always felt it was an honor to be with people during such an important time of their lives. It's really difficult to loose so many people so close together. It helps to have at least a little rebuilding time in between, but I guess we don't get to choose.

To SaraSewing and the rest of the nurses - keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Wow, reading everyones posts paints a picture of how diverse quilters are, and gives a glimps into who we each are.
Me, over a course of 33 years I worked for the Territorial, Federal and Provincial Governments as a Public Land Administrator, finally retired in 2006; it was a career I loved. I continued to accept contract work with the Provincial gov. until 2009. Husband and I now own a tanning salon where I work most weekdays till early afternoon.
I get to spend more time in my sewing room now. In a couple more years we will be retired full time and hopefully on the road in the 5th wheel.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 PM

With a degree in Health and Fitness, I ended up being a stay-at-home mom and raised my children. They have all (or about to be) graduated from college. Best move I ever made...staying home to raise them. I now am a marketing director for Juice Plus and I make t-shirt quilts. I'm still at home and that's what matters most to me! :)