Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Dresden Plate Please >

Need Help with Dresden Plate Please

Need Help with Dresden Plate Please

Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
hand applique is just as durable as machine applique...as long as you use quality thread there should not be any problems with your appliques falling apart. as for the machine applique...i do both LOTS...and i HATE the invisible threads...i would be much more worried about that thread causing problems than i would ever worry about my hand work coming un-done. i made the mistake of quilting a quilt with invisible thread once...every time the quilt is washed more of the thread breaks, it became brittle...it is poky like those annoying clothing tags that poke you non-stop and drive you crazy till you remove them...and it was expensive name brand invisible thread...it is like sewing with fishing line and when it breaks it is poky-sharp...
it is usually recommended to try to match your thread to the applique fabric or a shade darker for the most invisible final outcome. when i machine applique i use colored thread, and use either a blanket stitch or very small zigzag- definitly faster than hand applique,
Thanks for the first hand info on using invisible thread, ckcowl. I've been a little afraid to use it for the very reasons you talk about, but thought I might just be being a little parinoid about it, so I am very greatful for you your response here! My background fabric is light yellow and the plates are multi-color, some dark, some light, so I was struggling with thread color; that's why I was considering invisible thread.

I'm thinking that I'll probably try some sample blocks with decorative machine topstitching, and if I'm not happy with it, I'll just start hand-appliquing.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM

I am currently working on Dresden Plates appliqued with ivisible thread from Quilt in a Day in the blanket stitch on my machine. I have 16 done and have had no problems with the thread. The thread feels very soft. Much softer than the clear thread from Joann's. I can barely feel it between my fingers. Of course, I don't know how it will hold up to washing. I'm putting my faith in Quilt in a Day and their recommendation of using this thread.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I am currently working on Dresden Plates appliqued with ivisible thread from Quilt in a Day in the blanket stitch on my machine. I have 16 done and have had no problems with the thread. The thread feels very soft. Much softer than the clear thread from Joann's. I can barely feel it between my fingers. Of course, I don't know how it will hold up to washing. I'm putting my faith in Quilt in a Day and their recommendation of using this thread.
I'd be interested to hear how this thread holds up under a hot iron. If I'm looking at the same thread on the Quilt in a Day web site, it says it's 100% nylon, so it seems like it may melt if exposed to high heat. What has your experience been with this?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM

I love the Dresdan Plate!

I made mine using Quilt in a Day technique. I pinned very carefully then did a blanket stitch around each petal. Then I stitched fusible to the circle, turned it and stuffed it with batting and then appliqued it down using the blanket stitch.

I used regular thread in a pretty color since no matter what color I used, it would show up on some of the petals. So I just picked one that looked nice.

If you want an older look, use black thread.

Good luck with your quilt.

I saw the Missouri Quilt video - some day I will make another one using that method - those flowers are adoreable and would make a good "girl" quilt.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
...If you want an older look, use black thread...
Hmm, that's a thought. I'll be using a dark blue center; maybe a very dark blue or black thread in a blanket stitch would work... something to try to see what it looks like for sure. Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM

I usually applique by hand becaus I really enjoy it and because it is something I can do while sitting with my DH.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
I'd be interested to hear how this thread holds up under a hot iron. If I'm looking at the same thread on the Quilt in a Day web site, it says it's 100% nylon, so it seems like it may melt if exposed to high heat. What has your experience been with this?

Thanks!
I am a HUGE presser/starcher. All the blocks I've finished have been starched and pressed so they are ready to sew together. Nothing has happened. No melting and the plates are still adhered to the blocks just fine.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I made two dresden plate quilts. How crazy is this..the first one was 25 years ago..and my first quilt. I hand appliqued it onto the background. The second one I did a blanket stitch by machine with #12 thread. Instead of basting the edges..I did the reverse fusible applique method. Both have held up nicely.
What do you mean by "reverse fusible applique method"? do you any website with a tutorial on that?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM

I love Dresdens. I do them all the time. I've done both hand applique and machine, and both hold up very nicely.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of invisible thread, it gets super knotted and can screw up the tension in my machine.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 PM

I have kind of shyed away from invisible thread as one of my guild members had used it on a bargello and after about 7 years she brought it in to show how the thread was breaking all over her quilt.I must admit I used it on a wallhanging several years ago and it still is intact!