Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about Singer Touch & Sew Machines >

Questions about Singer Touch & Sew Machines

Questions about Singer Touch & Sew Machines

Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM

I bought the Touch&Sew 758 in 1971 and it has been a real trouper for me. :-) I have done everthing from sewing garments, stretch and sew, and TONS of appliqued sweatshirts on it. It needed a new part only once, back in 1988. I just took it in yesterday to have it cleaned and tuned up because the new Brother machine I bought in December (that said it was specifically for quilting), doesn't have enough space between the needle and the rest of the machine to machine quilt anything bigger than 24 inches!!!!!! :-( I have a feeling the tune up will cost me more than my new machine, but at least I will have a machine to use to finish my very first quilt.
I would let your kids have one, and let them take care of any repairs. I think they will be very happy with it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
A sewing machine repair man told me that the 404 - one of the slant-o-matic ones - is a good machine.

It does straight stitch only, but a lovely one.
Thanks for info - & thanks also to everyone else who left a note.
The 404 may be a choice down the road, but for now, I think I'll clean the machines a bit, oil them, then give to 1 son and 1 to our daughter. They will work now for mending and simple tasks.
When the Touch & Sew breaks down, it will be time for the kids to invest in their own machines - these will just get them started. At that time I'll suggest an older Singer - & will in the meantime, keep looking for them. Next purchase will be on their dollar. :}
I'll now have all 4 kids set up with their own sewing machines.
1st son & wife - great old New Home w/ zigzag, feed dog drop
daughter - 1 of the Touch & Sew 1968 model 630
2nd son - Singer Touch & Sew 1968 model 648
3rd son - Kenmore mechanical 15819131, my old workhorse

From some of the responses, seems the T & S may not hold up - by then hope to find replacements the kids will buy.
And for those of you who were happy w/ T & S, gives me hope the kids can get some use out of them before the machines die.
Thanks again - can depend on straight answers from folks on this board - you're the best!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by nangars
I had a Golden touch and sew machine that I got in the 1970's, it was the worst machine I have had. When something went wrong with it., you had to pay Singer to do a complete tune up before they would fix the problem.

I got ride of that., and have moved out to Baby Lock Machines., I love them. Our Sr. Center must have 25 or so Singer's and no one will use them. Everyone brings there own machines. From Baby Locks, to Bernina., the only singers they will use is their own Featherweights.

From the 1970's when the Singer company was taken over by a company that never had anything to do with Sewing Machines.

The old singer were great., and I don't think you can beat the Featherweights for simple sewing. They are well worth the price.
I now have 2 Babylocks (won one @ LQS grandopening) & love them as well.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
bj

I have a little touch and sew that is my only machine. I bought it about 5 years ago. I like it just fine and it sews nice seams. Mine has decorative stitches. I got initially for the blanket stitch. It probably is due for a cleaning/servicing, but I hate to be without my machine long enough to take it in. My only complaint about it is that I wish there was a little more room in the harp (?) area for when I'm quilting.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
bj

Sorry. Double post...I'm being impatient as usual!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Very good quality of machines. Smooth and solid.

http://www.sewingmachineswales.com
Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM

I have a 1962 Touch And Sew and I love it. Mine is all metal and has cams for the dec stitches. The thing I like most about it is that you don't have to take the bobbin out to rewind it and it sews that perfect Singer straight stitch. The self winding bobbin saves a ton of time. I use it for piecing at home. Use my 1949 Featherweight for classes and travelling. I have a Brother sewing/embroidery for fancy stuff, an upscale Europro for clothing and FMQ, and a serger. Now if I could only find an old Singer treadle...

I was given my aunts T&S and all I had to do was clean her up a bit....sews like a charm. I used T&S machines in High School in the '70's. Great machines!

I was given my aunts T&S and all I had to do was clean her up a bit....sews like a charm. I used T&S machines in High School in the '70's. Great machines!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM

Thanks again for all the answers - I think our kids will be happy to have the Touch & Sew machines I have for them. Nothing seems to be broken & they sew a nice straight line without issues. One was free & one was $25.00 in a cabinet, so if they get some mileage out of them, I'll be pleased.