Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!! >
  • Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!!

• Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Bedbugs can absolutely travel in fabric. Now, odds are if you're buying from a quilt store you won't have that issue. But a yard sale, gifting or Craigs list purchase could have them. Who knows what other people have in their homes. Yes, another reason ALL fabric goes in my washer upon entry to my home! Did you see the thread about the fabric I bought from an estate sale that had maggots in it??? Ewwww......
    Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM

I always pre-wash fabric. I used to iron and starch the fabric before I put it in my fabric cabinet, until I read that bugs like starch because it is sweet. So, Now I pre-wash all fabric and just iron and put away. I do not want to have to pay an exterminator because of fabric- or any other reason.
    Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by np3
    I live in California. I read all of the posts on the reasons why some prewash and others don't. I have NEVER had any bugs in my fabrics. I buy from lots of shop hops around the state and from shops from here to Texas and back. I also order a lot online. And the only time I wash my fabric is when it has an odor. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
    Me too!!! And I live in the same town as np3!!!
    Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Bedbugs can absolutely travel in fabric. Now, odds are if you're buying from a quilt store you won't have that issue. But a yard sale, gifting or Craigs list purchase could have them. Who knows what other people have in their homes. Yes, another reason ALL fabric goes in my washer upon entry to my home! Did you see the thread about the fabric I bought from an estate sale that had maggots in it??? Ewwww......
    . Yes, bed bugs are very serious. Very difficult and expensive to get rid of. Epidemic in cities and spreading everywhere. They can live without hosts for 2 YEARS

:shock: :shock: To be sure thrift store, yard sale, etc fabric isn't going to bring bed bugs into your home, you'd have to wash it and dry on HOT for two hours (at a laundromat, btw, unless you to risk them in your house first) unless using chemicals. Bed bugs are resistant to common insecticides, special chemicals and strategies are needed to get rid of them. Google it, you'll be horrified.
    Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Yikes! I don't have access to laundramats! I try to wash all fabric!! Scary!!
    Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maia B
    Originally Posted by Candace
    . Yes, bed bugs are very serious. Very difficult and expensive to get rid of. Epidemic in cities and spreading everywhere. They can live without hosts for 2 YEARS

:shock: :shock: To be sure thrift store, yard sale, etc fabric isn't going to bring bed bugs into your home, you'd have to wash it and dry on HOT for two hours (at a laundromat, btw, unless you to risk them in your house first) unless using chemicals. Bed bugs are resistant to common insecticides, special chemicals and strategies are needed to get rid of them. Google it, you'll be horrified.
    So you are saying that everyone who prewashes their fabric, still risks having bedbugs from fabric?
    Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM

I live in Florida and we have Palmetto bugs and they fly they are 1 inch long I have my housse sprayed so if I see one it is belly up still anoying new fabric doesn't go any farther than my laundry room untill it is washed.
    Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Ok now my skin is crawling talking about bugs. Eww! When i worked in a fabric store, we had grasshoppers, huge ones that came in on the fabrics, but not roaches or maggots. Good luck in getting rid of these suckers.
    Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM

Those roaches are the reason cowboy boots have very pointy toes. They're called "roach kickers." If you can corner one, you've got him-
    Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Thank you all for the sympathy and suggestions from Raid to Laundromat to Roach-kickers (I don't have cowboy boots but I have some pretty mean looking pointy toed high heels, if I can stay upright in them while kicking!)

My eldest daughter in NYC had a horrible bedbug outbreak - they are in movie theaters and trains and buses - it is really epidemic.

And who knows if it was the fabric - maybe eggs arrived in a mailing envelope or grocery bag or who knows. In any case I am now in a War Against the Field Roach! Even if if means being the owner of 'Skinny Quarters' LOL

Any other good ideas, send them my way -
    thanks and (((hugs))) for the sympathy
    Sue