Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Needles >

Hand Quilting Needles

Hand Quilting Needles

Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

John James- straws or milners (i don't like the tiny-short needles- i do better with the longer straw needles or milners)
or piecemakers.
i have some roxannes- i use for hand piecing and applique- but when quilting i usually grab the john james needles- they don't bend as quickly for me.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Roxanne #11 betweens works good for me:)
Me, too #10's. With Roxanne's I can thread the needle back through the eye, put the point thru the loop and draw up for a tiny know that will not allow the needle to pull off the thread!

Unfortunately Colonial seems to be THE place to get them and this is why I say "unfortunately":

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-129713-1.htm

But even so, they are worth it.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM

oh, goodness, I just had one snap in half the other night. I'd been using it for quite a while, though. I dug out some that I had on hand and couldn't even quilt with them- they were so flimsy, they bent right in half!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
oh, goodness, I just had one snap in half the other night. I'd been using it for quite a while, though. I dug out some that I had on hand and couldn't even quilt with them- they were so flimsy, they bent right in half!
Wonder if they get weak with age? I'm definitely going tomorrow to get a few of those listed here to see which ones I like.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:26 PM

Wonder if they get weak with age? I'm definitely going tomorrow to get a few of those listed here to see which ones I like.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 AM

I like and use Richard Hemming betweens. I started using size 12 but my eyes won't let me thread them anymore so I have moved up a couple sizes.

pat
Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm
This batch I have, Singer brand, has had two to break while quilting. This is rare for me. Don't remember where I bought them. Perhaps it is just a fluke but...
What brands do any of you hand quilters use?
I think I have tried them all. I love the John James between they last longer than any other brand I have found, most quilt shops carry them if not ask them to order them.
Good luck.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:59 AM

Yes, I think that was the deal with the one that snapped. It had developed a definite bend to it, I think it just reached it's breaking point. The other ones, though, were just extremely thin, there wasn't enough to them to keep from bending. It was ridiculous.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 AM

This batch I have, Singer brand, has had two to break while quilting. This is rare for me. Don't remember where I bought them. Perhaps it is just a fluke but...
What brands do any of you hand quilters use?
It is improtant that they are betweens (handquilting needles)
Old 07-23-2011, 05:02 AM

Piecemakers are what I like best. And I have noticed the same as others...quilting needles seem to be bending and breaking more often than they used to...or maybe it's just me.....