Friends and honesty

Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

I agree with not being mean about it; and always be willing to explain your reasons when in disagreement with someone. Friendships are a very important part of life; but not if you have to be phoney to have them.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

I'm for honesty, but at least try to termper it - if someone asks "how does this look on me" and if it really looks like, well, doodoo - dont just blurt out "doodoo", say something like, "well, its not my taste, so I don't think it looks all that good on you!"
Otherwise, life is way too short to try and walk on eggs everyday. If people know the way you are and know you will tell them your feelings, you will sort out true friends from acquaintences quick.
You have to remember, too, opinions and feelings are personal and "honesty" can be subjective. You won't lose a true friend for being true. sharet
Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Speak the truth in love
Old 10-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Well I think there is a fine line between honesty and being brutally honest. Now if I asked you if my butt looks big and you said no, I'd probably know you lied just to make me feel better and I wouldn't care about your little lie. However if I asked you if my husband was cheating on me and you knew the answer is yes, well, you darn well better fess up instead of letting me beat my head against a wall for a few years. See what I mean. I generally don't go spewing out information though unless I'm asked point blank. There have been times where I've known things about a friend and could tell they had some doubts or questions but preferred to remain in denial. In those cases...mum's the word. I'd never hurt a friend just so I could feel superior for telling the truth.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM

I find people that feel the need to be totally "honest" all the time Don't know the difference between honestly and uncensorsored personal oppinion.
Those kinds of friends i DON"T need or want to hear their "honesty"
Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM

I have not seen une of my "best friends" since May because she refuses to call or come to my house she expects me to come and see her all the time. Yes I miss her but I will not cave in she knows how to reach me and if she isn't interested I guess it was never a true friendship.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
imho there is a difference in honesty and and being cruel i believe that in a friendship you can be honest in a loving and kind way. If i think what I am going to say may damage the friendship I would not say it or would try to say it in a different way. It all depends on the value of the friendship.It just like your mom used to tell you if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all.
Lol...I agree with this one. Sometimes people can't handle the truth very well. So, you might be able to save the friendship by just keeping your thoughts to yourself.
Tammy
Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 PM

I want my friends to be open and honest with me when they see something that concerns them. I like it seems a few others have very few friends, but many aquaintances. The few close friends I have are more like sisters than friends. I know I can count on them to be honest in a loving and protective way, same as i'm willing to do for them.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 PM

I believe that friends should always be honest with one another, without being brutal like others have said. Our block of friends is a small group with a lot of other friends "work people, etc" I've had my friendship and trust broken before and it hurt deeply, so we're selective in how close we let people get to us.

If a friend asks for my honest opinion and I need to give a negative answer I always tell them why I feel that way, and things turn out fine. Dishonesty is the hardest thing to ever put behind you when it comes to friends, takes a long time for that sting to go away.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 PM

I usually say what I think, but I think about what I say....