• For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted >
  • Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted

• Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted

Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by dreid
    ...find a cabinet for an old treadle that was "fiddle-based"
    Not sure what you mean here..... The large cutout hole is usually different for each model of machine, with a few that are interchangeable.

IF the one you find is smaller that the one you need then the hole can be enlarged of course, but if it is larger there is not much you can do.

I made my last one out of some boards we had around the house.
    Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Keep your fingers crossed. While I'm waiting for it to upload. [ATTACH=CONFIG]432516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]432514[/ATTACH] (It worked YEA! Thanks Steve.) Okay I'll try the rest. (Tips for others who may be having trouble in iPhoto, I exported the pic to Dropbox using the smallest file possible.) This is an 1886 Fiddle Based Singer machine, serial #7432068. It is named The Singer New Improved Family Machine. Most of the hand painted flower machines were from Sweden. I love the fact that some of the flower have faded or were worn due to use. It has an osciallting round bobbin and uses a common needle sized 15x1. It really does move so smoothly. I found it on eBay and ended up paying more than I originally intended. (Ebay is addicting.) But I was very pleased when I unpacked it yesterday and tested it out. Okay here are few more pics hopefully.[ATTACH=CONFIG]432517[/ATTACH] Of course I probably have some more lessons to learn about taking pictures too, but not too much in one day. I'll do my other machine in another post, but I think I'll put these in the thread about pictures of the vintage machines. Probably fits better. Look at all I'm learning. Thanks to everyone for helping me get better. Not bad for less than 24 hours online. Has anyone seen a machine that is similar to this in flower pattern and Model 27? Just curious.
    Attached Thumbnails flowered-model-27-singer-1886.jpg   fiddle-base-model-27-view-3.jpg   fiddle-base-model-27-pic-2.jpg  
    Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Your machine is actually an IF (Improved Family) which is pretty much the same as a 15. It uses a round bobbin, instead of a long bobbin like a 27 or 127 would.

The cutout for a fiddle base is completely different than the one for a rectangular bed. Smaller too if memory serves.

As is the mounting system. A fiddle base has those two bolts that go straight down into the two holes at the back. The Rectangular beds have hinges attached straight out from the back.

Even if the cutout is the same size, I wouldn't drill the holes for the FB because the hinge holes may be compromised strength wise. (I'm assuming the hinges are placed in about the same spots, I can go into the uh,. shop later and try to measure.) I think you may be best having one of your family fabricate a top.

And Welcome!
    Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM

This is the same exact machine as I have - an 1886 Singer Improved family fiddle base with apple blossom decals. Mine is in the original drawing room cabinet with a spring-loaded lift so I couldn't help you with a cabinet design for a cabinet on irons, but this picture you can see the platform it sits on that goes up and down. If other pictures would be helpful, let me know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432789[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails if-front-upload.jpg  
    Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 AM

Thank you so much for the help and the info. It really is helpful. What a beautiful machine. It is great to see another one. I love yours! I may holler at you for more info about how it is attached in the cabinet at some point once I talk my men into tackling this project. Thanks, Diane