Trying to love my 15-91...

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM

Thread the machine leaving a tail of about 8 to 10 inches through the needle. Cut the thread at the spool. Take an end of the thread in each hand and with the tension released slowly pull the thread back and forth to see if you feel it catching on a burr or a rough place through the entire thread path

If you don't want to take your tension apart get about a 6 to 10 inch length of cotton string or crochet cotton and soak it in alcohol, wring it out, and floss your tension disks with it top and bottom, inside and outside. You'll be amazed and disgusted at the dirt you get out of them.

Check you needle plate for a crack. It is unusual on the older machines but I have seen instances where the plate is cracked near the needle hole causing the thread to catch. Check for burrs while you are looking it over.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 03-31-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to try the simple ones before resorting to disassembling the tension. Again, thank you everyone for the ideas, keep um coming. Oh, I did try to check the tension disks by running a piece of cloth between them, and dental floss. Did not see anything, but have not tried to sew w/it again yet either. The hard part is, I never know when it is going to act up so I can't try something, test, then try again. Have to sew until it happens, then try again...a bit longer process.

Thanks again,
Jp
Old 03-31-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Going to try the simple ones before resorting to disassembling the tension.
JP, my thought was that the upper thread's catching (well duh). Does it catch when you lift the presser foot and pull the thread by hand? If not, unthread the needle and keep pulling whilst turning the crank slowly by hand. You'll feel it if the tension gets too much.
Have you tried with different thread spools? Some of mine keep allowing the thread to loop around the spool and the thread snaps (fix is to push the centre bit flat so there's nothing to wrap around).
A possibility I've heard about is that a burr around the eye of the take up lever sometimes happens (don't know how), or even some sticky goo builds up in it (that one's easier to understand). Either way you will feel it when pulling thread through with your hand.
I do love a mystery.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 AM

I had this happen with my 15-91. I normally use cotton thread, but had switched to a well known brand of thread used for embroidery, which had been recommended to me for FMQ. My machine kept doing exactly what you described until I switched back to cotton thread or a poly made for quilting. What kind of thread are you using? The thread that caused mine to act up was rather "slick" and on a small cone. The cone did fit on the spool pin, but maybe it wasn't heavy enough.
I do hope you figure it out, the 15-91 is a great machine!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:30 AM

I am currently using a C&C thread, maybe dual duty but I can't remember for sure. I did use a Gutterman thread also and had the same problem. Funny thing is I used this machine to make two shirts, both out of poly/cotton broadcloth and had no problems at all. When the machine started acting up was when I was using cotton fabric and the C&C thread. I am sure I used a C&C for the shirts too though. Indeed a mystery.

I have wondered about the thread type, for example my Free #5 only likes 100% cotton, and I have noticed a couple of others here mention their older machines like only cotton, but this is a 50's machine, shouldn't it be OK w/the poly/cotton thread?

Oh, and when I started sewing w/the cotton (I was making diapers for a friends daughters dolly) the fabric was shifting badly so I had to really lessen the pressure on the foot...it worked, no more uneven edges!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, going to try some today and see what goes.
Jp
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by NapaJohn View Post
How is the stitch quality? If it is a balanced stitch, the tension is probably okay but it never hurts to clean it.

I read somewhere that the old girls were designed to work perfectly with the heavier weight of the old wooden spools and the new plastic spools don't always work well.

First, are you using a spool pin felt on it? That will help it feed evenly and not spin. This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Spoo...of-2-8879T.htm
I've seen one person claim that taping a quarter to the top of the thread spool solves the problem. I probably wouldn't want to tape something and introduce something sticky, but you could probably try a zinc washer from a hardware store for the same purpose. Zinc wouldn't rust and the washer would have a hole for the spool pin. (I've used those zinc washers for curtain weights and they're way cheaper than the weights sold in the fabric store, too.)

Another thing that could be happening is that sometimes the thread feeding off the spool will catch on the notch on the end of the spool which secures the thread when it's new. Try turning the spool over and see if that helps--often, just that will solve the issue.

Good luck.

John
the thread catches on the notch all the time if not paying attention when putting new spool on my 221
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM

I have encountered a similar problem - Its the number one reason I use a stand along thread holder that pulls the thread off the top of the spool, the spool does not turn at all.

BTW - my long arm is really good at doing this, what happens is it give the thread a bit of a yank causing the thread spool to spin and loosen, then the loose thread gets caught on something above the tension, and SNAP with the next stitch. It happens so fast there really isn't any way to watch other than to video it and replay. Of course, if you slow down it does not happen because the speed is the main culprit. There is nothing wrong with the machine, but for some reason with the thread path, it makes it easy to get a good spin on the thread spool and the loosened thread is the problem.

I never have this problem with the thread spool, as it never sends the spool spinning.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 AM

When you finish sewing a seam, do you move your needle to the "up" position every time? To my mind, the older machines are more contrary about this than the newer ones. The class that I taught to a group of beginners this past weekend had an extra-long session on doing this--except for the one little lady who was lucky enough to have a machine with the "needle up" position--so her special session was learning to do a 1/4" seam without the lower piece of fabric slipping and giving her a wonky seam.

And the notched spool does sometimes give me a problem--I think I was in on the discussion at one time on this board of how we all hate those notches because they cause the problem you are dealing with here.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

I have also seen folks who used "spool weights" to help correct this issue.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
When you finish sewing a seam, do you move your needle to the "up" position every time? To my mind, the older machines are more contrary about this than the newer ones. The class that I taught to a group of beginners this past weekend had an extra-long session on doing this--except for the one little lady who was lucky enough to have a machine with the "needle up" position--so her special session was learning to do a 1/4" seam without the lower piece of fabric slipping and giving her a wonky seam.

And the notched spool does sometimes give me a problem--I think I was in on the discussion at one time on this board of how we all hate those notches because they cause the problem you are dealing with here.

I try to remember to return to "up". I can feel the thread not wanting to come out as easily if it is not at just the right point, but that does not mean I always get to that point. Could that cause a problem?

I have had the notch give me trouble in the past so that was the first thing I thought about and checked. Although it did not seem to be catching there, I did turn the spool over just in case. Did not fix my problem so the notch was not to blame this time.

Jp