Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I found a treasure in my closet :) >

I found a treasure in my closet :)

I found a treasure in my closet :)

Old 09-03-2014, 05:34 AM

Feed dogs can wear down, too, so don't move the fabric like they should. These newer machines sure need a lot more service that the old pedal type did.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 AM

My Janome 6500 had the same problem until I bought the single-hole plate. The machine came with the plate with the wide hole for zig-zag and decorative stitches. That bigger hole allows the fabric to scrunch down into it and the needle keeps going making a big glob of thread that makes it difficult to pull out the mess. (that's the technical description). I've had my machine 10 years and still runs like a champ--as long as I remember to change the plate.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 AM

I have an Elna 740 that can be like that. Single hole plate helps, as well as making sure it's clear of as much lint as possible under the plate and around the bobbin. Kind of fussy, but a wonderful machine. Getting in the habit of using leaders and enders can open up a whole new world for you! Check out Bonnie Hunter. You can make a quilt AS you're making a quilt!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 AM

How old is your 6600? Mine is only 2 years old but it's sewn through about 30 quilts so far. I don't usually have a problem with it eating fabric - sometimes it happens but not as a regular problem. I don't have the straight-stitch plate either though (I don't trust myself not to forget it's there).
Old 09-03-2014, 07:05 AM

I have a Kenmore 385.19150, and if you're asking if that machine can be set to stop with the needle down, the answer in no....... oh if only wishing made is so. But I LOVE that machine it has pieced everyone of my quilts since I bought it.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Love my vintage Kenmore 158.17740. It was my mom's and it's all I sew with. I've heard through vintage Kenmore groups that yours is the best Kenmore ever made.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM

My babylock Elizabeth will start eating the fabric when the needle is very dull. That's my Q [cue] to change needles!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
My babylock Elizabeth will start eating the fabric when the needle is very dull. That's my Q [cue] to change needles!
This is true of my Elna Quilt Pro Queen (which is made by Janome). And I find that some fabric, the thinner or softer kind, does seem to need a leader(which I throw in a bag and plan to some day use in a quilt). I also find that when I use the automatic thread cutter at the end of a seam, the next seam always bunches up at the first. does anyone else have this problem? Even if the fabric doesn't get chewed, it leaves a wade of thread on the start of the bobbin side.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM

Sewnoma,, I have a 6300p and I paint the plate with red nail polish around the needle hole, just a reminder what plate is on there. DottieBug
Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 AM

When was the last time you changed your needle?
Sometimes a dull needle will cause this problem. I change my needle with every project sometimes in the middle of my project....until I got the organ titanium needles 90/14 topstitch from Superior Threads.