Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Top is Batik, What to Use for Backing >

Top is Batik, What to Use for Backing

Top is Batik, What to Use for Backing

Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM

I would use a solid cotton that that picked up the color you like best from the top.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 AM

I would use whatever I liked...it is your quilt. My daughter picked out batiks and a pattern when she was here for Christmas. She lives on the west coast where she seldom has the heat on. So, she is going to buy flannel for the backing and no batting. A summer quilt in other words.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I am using a lot of Roc-lon(tm) 200 count muslin. It is 107/108 in. wide, 100 percent cotton muslin, permanent press finish. and preshrunk. I buy Style #5140 bleached an d Style # 5139 unbleached. Very nice feel to the fabric and I have purchased several bolts of the and always been happy with it.
That sounds nice. Where do you get it?
Old 01-17-2015, 12:35 PM

Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone. I think I will go the regular cotton route, both because of expense, and Tartan's comment. Glad to know it's acceptable in the quilting realm.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 PM

I should have added that the muslin is Ava-lon 200 count muslin. I get it by the bolt from Rockland industries, I'm not sure where you would get it retail. Of all their muslins I like the Ava-lon the best.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 PM

When I worked at a Quilt Store we would special order bolts of fabrics for customers and give 25% off regular price. I don't know if any other LQS do that anymore.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
I would use whatever I liked...it is your quilt. My daughter picked out batiks and a pattern when she was here for Christmas. She lives on the west coast where she seldom has the heat on. So, she is going to buy flannel for the backing and no batting. A summer quilt in other words.
I can't imagine a summer quilt having a flannel backing. I hate touching flannel when it is really hot!

But to the OP...batik is just a type of cotton...if I understand most batiks right. Why can't you use quilting cotton or a cotton sheet for the backing?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:07 AM

I love batiks and use them most of the time, but can never usually find anything I like for backs unless I piece, as choice is fairly limited (especially here, lol). I often use quilting cotton. If it's the colour and pattern you want - go for it.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 AM

I mix regular cottons with batiks all the time. Fronts and backs, as I usually do a little piecing on my quilt backs. I think they play well together!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
I have just finished a Batik quilt top, and am considering what to use for backing. Do you ever use regular cotton for the backing of a Batik top?

I hate to spend the money for batik for the backing...however, I do want it to look nice and not take away from the quilt.

Your thoughts? Thanks!
While you CAN use anything on the back, I prefer to use Batik........I have found it is not that much more than the good extra wide regular quilting cotton........Check out WEBFABRICS on facebook....she carries a large selection of Batik extra wide backing.....and I have not had any problems quilting with batik on the top and the bottom...