Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergic to cats >

Allergic to cats

Allergic to cats

Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 PM

If it were for my family, I'd agree about the LaundroMat. Take them there & wash them with a scent-free detergent. Try to make sure the quilts touch your clothes as little as possible & wash hands before grabbing out of the dryer. Then seal it in a bag (or two, if they're tie-top garbage bags).

My family has severe allergies. When I would go to a friend's house who had a pet when I was younger & would come home, my baby sister would get an asthma attack & my mom would start sneezing like 8x in a row. I wasn't even touching my family members & I hadn't touched the pets directly, but the allergens traveled on my clothes and bothered them terribly. My sister eventually had to go for allergy shots because the other kids' clothing at school would cause her allergy/asthma problems.

But other people have mild allergies & just can't be around pets 24/7. If the client isn't super difficult, maybe you could call her and ask what she usually does with items that have been exposed to pet dander. She might just say to bag it up & she'll put it straight in the washer as soon as she gets it home. Assuming her allergies aren't super extreme, she may prefer that so she can use her preferred detergent/fabric softener.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:08 AM

So glad for this thread. I'm having a problem with someone else's quilt I offered to hand sew the binding on. As it's laying across my lap I keep seeing what I thought was batting bearding. But then realized it's some kind of animal hair. To me this is gross. Also it explains why my eyes are irritated.
This is a QOV. So my first problem is finishing it. And second, do I say something when I return it to the group? I'm not sure they wash before awarding quilts. I had offered to be the "binder" for the group. But I have an allergy to pet hair, obviously. It seems lots of quilters have cats. Always see them as the "quilt inspector"
I shall have to find a way to tactfully rescind my offer. And quilts I make certainly can't go to a 'cat house" to be longarmed.
I know people love their pets, but they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near and especially not on other peoples quilts.
Unfortunately w/o remembering I sent my quilt to be longarmend at a ladies house with several cats. I'm just hoping they aren't allowed in her studio.

Last edited by sval; 08-05-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 AM

It's the pits to be so allergic to anything, believe me. With severe lung problems, I can't be around anybody who smokes. My daughter has cats and dogs in the house and my SIL smokes, needless to say I can't go over there which is very sad. When my grandboys come over, they have to immediately take their clothes off in the garage and take a shower. I also have to rewash all the clothes that they bring for stays with us.

Using a washateria is a good idea.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:49 AM

I want to thank everyone for their comments on this issue. I see I am not the only one with the problem. No, the people getting the quilts do not know it, as they are Christmas presents. I think I will opt for the Laundromat, there is one a few blocks from my house, then tell the to parties to rewash them if need be. I am allergic to agora, from rabbits, so I can sympathize.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 AM

I was allergic to cats and it's awful. I am not allergic now. I would make the quilts and then take them to a Laundromat and wash them there. Even your clothes have dander on them.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:37 AM

I'm glad you asked this. It's very helpful to see the responses. I desperately try to keep my pets away from quilts made for others, but sometimes the brats (cats, the husky is very well behaved), find a way to get at them. I'm making a baby quilt for my nephew and I know my brother is allergic. Not as severely as those above, but definitely gets stuffy and watery eyes. I was wondering what I would need to do about the quilt before sending. I was planning to wash and dry it at the laundromat either way, but now I'll be extra careful about bagging it up in a sealed plastic bag before getting it anywhere near my home. Actually, maybe after I seal it up, I'll go straight to the post office.

Sval, maybe you could gently ask folks to run a lint roller over their quilts before you bind them. Say you love helping out, but are allergic to pets and had a reaction to the last quilt you worked on. I agree, if the quilt is for someone else, and being worked on by several people handing it off with pet hair on it is icky. I love my pets, but I'd be super embarrassed if I did that and I'd also be grossed out if someone handed one over with pet hair all over it...
Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

It is hard to think about when there is no one in the family that has an allergy. My mother was told I had an allergy to dog hair when I was a child. Watery eyes, sneezing, and itching when around my grandmother's pet dog. The old Dr. said I'd develop an immunity to it if they got me a dog to be around all the time I got a dog and later a cat and I guess it worked. I had symptoms for awhile but they faded away. LOL. Can you imagine a Dr. saying that now?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:05 AM

you must do it at a laundramat and you must put it in a bag before you put it in your car. I have pets and no matter what I do, there is cat and dog hair floating everywhere!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 AM

I was so allergic to cats as a child, that just standing next to someone that had cats... in school, grocery store, etc., would send me into a full blown asthma attack, and several times to the hospital. I ended up getting the antigen shots, once a week for 3 years, and am happy to say that now I have a cat and he sleeps with me, lays on my lap, is all over the house and I'm fine with him!That was 40 years ago when I got the shots, and it is still holding, and I'm sure modern medicine has advanced them so maybe it's not even 3 years anymore..but I advise anyone with allergies to check into the doctor and ask about the antigen shots.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 AM

My baby,Coco, would love to come in my room...... There was alot of crying [both of us] but she has learned that she has to stay on the landing. Most of the time now ,she is waiting at the bottom of the steps for me. I still go ahead and throw the quilt in the dryer on air to make sure....