Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm new and need some help with a French braid quilt >

I'm new and need some help with a French braid quilt

I'm new and need some help with a French braid quilt

Old 11-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

If you trimmed the edges straight on your strips, this leaves all bias edges. Bias edges are going to stretch. I would carefully take apart the strips. When the strips are all separate, I would run a line of stay stitching (just shy of the seam allowance) down each side of the strip, coaxing the bias edges to come back together. I do this by nudging the bias edge before the needle towards it with my stiletto as I sew. Once the strips are all stay stitched I would put theirs back together alternating the direction in which each row is sewn.
They look like lovely French Braid strips and are well worth fixing. You could also add sashing as others have mentioned to stabilize the bias edges. Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by dluvs2quilt View Post
Why don't you try sewing in the opposite direction every other row?
I did that the second time I sewed them together. :P

This went together so quickly. Why is it always the "oh this is so quick and easy" quilts that come back to bite you??
Old 11-07-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dluvs2quilt View Post
Why don't you try sewing in the opposite direction every other row?
It may seem like a very simple thing, but I know this happens with strips if you sew them all from the same end!

Oops. Didn't see the last post!
Old 11-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

My one and only French braid had a similar problem. I used sashing but before then it kept stretching out of shape. If I make one again I will stay stitch the sides, being very careful about the bias.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:42 PM

I have another suggestion. If the directions of the rows don't matter perhaps you could have one row of braids going up and one row of braids going down.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 PM

Welcome to the board. I've never made a French Braid so I can't help you but I'm sure one of the experts will have the answer you need.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 AM

When I made a French braid mine did the same thing due to the bias edges. I took apart the rows and put in a sashing strip between them. Measure carefully to make certain you end up with the same length of strips.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I now use featherweight fusible interfacing on fabric that will have bias edges. It's worth it.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:33 AM

I took a class a few years ago and the instructor stressed to keep the bands flat and do not hang or drape the parts until all assembled and quilted. Because of the bias edges it is very likely to get wonky. I think the best bet is to block the quilt as everyone suggests and next time sew the rows in opposite directions. Good luck.
Sue
Old 11-08-2015, 08:29 AM

I made a French braid - California king size, with 7 braids. I did not have any twisting problem. I started with a triangle from a 12" square, and used 8" lengths the fabric for the braids from a jelly roll. I did not have any bias edges that way and I trimmed the top and bottom square. I also placed sashing between the braids (needed the additional width) and trimmed off the points. Send me a PM and I can explain more if you don't understand what I am saying. That being said, though, I do not know how you can fix what you have, as mine was done differently from the beginning.