Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Searching... cobalt blue quilt fabric >
  • Searching... cobalt blue quilt fabric

• Searching... cobalt blue quilt fabric

Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 AM

I'd try either hancocks of paducah or connectin threads. Both have wide selections and the colors are true on the internet. Especially Hancoks of paducah.
    Old 06-26-2017, 12:20 PM

I think equilter.com will send you a fabric sample once you find something that looks right. Their customer svc is very helpful. Other co's may send samples also--ask.
    Old 06-26-2017, 12:31 PM

I saw some cobalt blue at the (not so local--30 miles) Walmart store. 100 per cent cotton, $3.87 per yard....not a high thread count, though. I was checking for anoher color, but this caught my eye; did not buy any of it.
    Old 06-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Default Good advice, Jane

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    I feel your pain. I am not "well that will do" kind of gal. But here is the problem. Cobalt blue only means something to you, and it isn't very much more specific than "blue". But if you really want a very specific color (and you are allowed to want what you want), and you have to communicate with other people (because computer/camera/software is not accurate/specific enough. You have to refer to a "standard" of what the definition of Cobalt blue is. (have I lost you/bored you? In the print world the standard is the pantone color chart. (John Deere want this green not that green in their ads, paint etc and you better not print an off shade like forest green).

Now we don't all have Pantone color charts, but we do/can have Kona and/or Bella Solid color charts. By we, I mean you can buy one, and most LQS have on e. If you say "Do you have any fabric that matches Kona "Cutsy Blue #236 or Bella Solid "Heavenly blue #117", that LQS owner can refer to her chart and walk her store and/or refer to her website; Moda #24567 of the Country charm collection matches the color you have referred to. And wal la you have a match.
    If you don't need to be THAT specific, then, heck, trust your computer and go for it. Or hop in the car and take a rode trip. Good Luck in your quest. I know when I want a solid, I am like you, I want what I want and not something "close to it"
    I agree with Jane in that if you set 5 different manufacturer's cobalt blues side by side, you will get 5 different blues. They name their colors independent of any true standard. The Pantone chart is really useful, and the Moda/Kona charts too. But, nothing beats in-person visualizing.
    Old 06-26-2017, 02:27 PM

If you are trying to match a blue that you already have or think you want I wish you much luck. I was looking to match a Moda Marble...did not have a # or name so I ordered one was too light, too dark, too bright, too teal and finally found the right one..

So again good luck.
    Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 AM

Thanks again for all the information.