Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting 4-H Project - Wish me Luck! >

Quilting 4-H Project - Wish me Luck!

Quilting 4-H Project - Wish me Luck!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 AM

As a former 4H member, thank you for donating your time and talents! How fun is this! I'm wondering where you got 9 sewing machines? Can't wait to see pics!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Teaching kids to sew/quilt is very rewarding. I volunteered with the Talented and Gifted program where my sister taught. This year, each kid mad a wheelchair quilt for donation. We didn't piece it because of time constraints. Then after the Christmas break, we made a class quilt. The school was opened in 1951, so our theme was 1951-2018. Each kid made a 9 patch with their photo in it and chose photos, "I spy" squares or made fabric squares with fabric paint that represented their years at the school. Then they sewed it together, sandwiched it and quilted it. I did bind it, though.

Last year, they made a class quilt. Then they each made a quilt, wall hanging or pieced pillow case that they kept.

I can't find the photo of the class quilt, but here are the wheel chair quilts from the most recent class.

It was really rewarding.

bkay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598005[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails wheelchair-quilts.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Sounds like it will be fun for all.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:12 PM

Congratulations on such initiative! I am hoping that you are allowed to store all of the machines and supplies at the venue overnight all week, so that you are not carrying so much back and forth each day.

Anybody leading any sewing group know how much prep work there is, but leading kids adds a whole new element!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

So good of you to put so much times and effort into teaching thses kids to sew and quilt.

Bkay the kids did a good job making the wheelchair covers.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations SuzzyQ for helping your local kids to "Learn to Do by Doing".
You're planting the sewing seed with a new generation.

I remember my 4-H years with fondness, and know that your efforts will be well rewarded.
Of course, we didn't get to make quilts, but did learn the basics,
via garment making and one year, even hats!

BearIsGray ... yes, 4-H is alive and well in Canada, and has been for over 100 years!
To learn more ....
http://www.4-hontario.ca/about-4h/wh...h/history.aspx
Old 07-17-2018, 05:58 PM

that is awesome! Sounds like you are doing a complete program with these kids--our future! Thank you for the huge amount of time and energy you've put into this project.
Next week my Guild will host a Kids Corner at the county fair (along with supplying awards, quilt stands, and volunteers) and we are so excited this year because one of our Jr. members volunteered to chair this-and she's only 14--but a veteran 4-H kid so she's got oodles of skills.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 AM

My only suggestion is to teach them why it is important to make a label for their quilts.

You could pass out light colored fabric and have them iron it on to freezer paper (if you are having them hand write their info.). It would be fun to include the fair theme or draw the recycle symbol on the label.

How exciting for them to display their finished projects at the local fair in the fall. You are doing a wonderful thing by sharing your love of quilting and giving your students a gift that lasts a lifetime.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:02 AM

How exciting. I learned to sew at age 9 in 4-H, and have loved to sew ever since. My 4-H teacher was a Home Demonstration Teacher. I remained in 4-H as long as it was available in the town I lived in. We learned so much from 4-H. I was also in Brownies and Girl Scouts, as well as a leader for my daughter's group for many years when she came along. I really think I learned more in 4-H than in Scouts, but both organizations are fabulous groups for a youngster to belong to. Thank you for teaching your group to sew, I truly think this skill will follow them through their lifetime and they will always remember this event.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Thank you for donating your stash, your time and your talents to our youth. Sounds like a well thought out program that the kids will learn from and have fun along the way.