Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking Your Insights On Quilting Challenges >

Seeking Your Insights On Quilting Challenges

Seeking Your Insights On Quilting Challenges

Old 09-08-2023, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
That's a big much just starting quilting and wanting to make it more enjoyable to all quilters. Most have figured it out after the first dozen quilts. Are you writing a book? Starting a quilting youtube channel? From my experience all quilting hurdles, pain points and challenges have been addressed many times by every you tube quilter, quilt blogger, and instructor.
Perhaps my question was poorly phrased. I guess what i was asking for was not so much technical knowledge, but if there has been struggles or annoyances with acquiring certain materials for example in Europe, or if market sites have seemed outdated and tough to navigate.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:50 PM

Perhaps my question was poorly phrased. I guess what i was asking for was not so much technical knowledge, but if there has been struggles or annoyances with acquiring certain materials for example in Europe, or if market sites have seemed outdated and tough to navigate.

My grandmother was a quilter and she expressed how she would have difficulties getting certain types of fabrics (she lived in Finland) and that not being the most tech-savvy, it was difficult to navigate the online world of quilting.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:56 PM

Not a troll Just a person with genuine curiosity and interest. My question was poorly phrased as it seems everyone took it the wrong way. I was more asking for an opinion in regards to logistical things rather than technical.

How to make things regarding to quilting (getting material, showcasing work, learning, educating) more simple and valuable.

I have a personal connection to this as my grandmother was into quilting, and she expressed her annoyances at times, so an idea sparked to try and see if i could help others, experienced or new, in not having the same kind of experience
Old 09-09-2023, 04:37 AM

welcme! take a class. learning basic techniques will save you much time and many dollars.
How to prepare fabric
how to use the tools properly to cut
basic sewing machine experience
how to find your 1/4" seam allowance so your blocks come out right.

Don't buy stash. That is a dopamine hit addiction
Old 09-09-2023, 04:57 AM

Ah, Logistics!

The online quilting community/shops have been pretty vibrant, dynamic and a steady presence for over 20 years. I know I've been on-line since before 2000 and the dot-com bust. In the late 90s it was still pretty unusual to have home internet service, hello dial-up and AOL (I never actually used AOL myself)! The first board I was a part of was Sewing World, it's gone now But I met people (both online and off), and swapped fabric all over the world before I met my husband in 2001 who I also met online, but that was through on-line gaming (specifically Everquest before WoW).

We all have our favorite shops, there are many of them. I've been a fan of https://www.equilter.com/ since they started. However, I am big on supporting small local businesses and prefer to buy local. It helped that in the 90s, Seattle was a huge place in the modern era of quilting with That Patchwork Place as a publisher and many local quilt artists, authors, and shops. Unfortunately, like many other small businesses prices have gone up, expenses have gone up, and covid was hard on us all.

For the last 10 years or so, I've gotten most of my fabrics at thrift stores. Seattle is a very wealthy area and I was able to get all sorts of goodies, started that after the dot-com bust when I had available time on my hands and not much money... Then I grew to enjoy the challenge and was unwilling to spend even after I was working again. I've recently moved and my concentration now is on using the 26 totes of fabric I moved with me!

Again, in terms of education and showcasing work, a guild is invaluable, as are boards like this one. There are also magazines, sadly Quilter's Newletter is no longer with us, but others both designed to broad and specific areas are out there. While I do exhibit/showcase work in Guild shows there are also major quilt shows, some based on specific things like Modern Quilting, or the biggie of the American Quilting Society (AQS) located in Paducah, Kentucky. I'm going to miss the traveling show that is held each year in Grand Rapids, MI this year, but next year I plan on going. Helps that my MiL lives in Grand Rapids.

International I don't know much about other than the internet connects us all. Australia has a vibrant quilting community and it's own magazines. In greater Asia, Japan is a hot spot. There are cruises and rare tours of Hoffman's batik factory -- https://worldofquiltstravel.com/bati...ali-pricing-2/ My fabric swapping was mostly through "collector requests" on the boards I frequented, That is, mostly I sent out via USPS and did not buy.

One thing I do know/have heard is that the tariffs and costs of fabric is much higher for much of the world, including Canada, And in comparison, our post office is very efficient and low priced and dependable. Plus there are differences in metric and US measurements.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

You really can't help others with their quilting experience until you have some of your own. As Kalama said, taking a beginner class at a local quilting shop will get you covered in all the basics. Then you can try the many things offered online. After a few years of experience, you may have something to share with other quilters.

We are so blessed to have the world of quilting, as well as all the tools and fabric choices, right at our fingertips with the internet.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by caseb View Post
How to make things regarding to quilting (getting material, showcasing work, learning, educating) more simple and valuable.
At least in the U.S., it is as simple as can be to acquire fabric, share one's work, learn and have a valuable experience (assuming one has internet access and some disposable income).

I'm wondering why you assumed members of this community are having difficulties in these areas. If it's because you or people you know are having them, you might explain more of your situation to us so we can have a better understanding of your perspective.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:37 AM

Hi Caseb, welcome to the board! What kinds of things did your mom have problems with? That may be a good place for us to start sharing ideas. You are kind to want to make the world better for quilters.

The internet has opened up amazing resources for all of us, no matter what part of the world. Are you in the USA or elsewhere? I
Old 09-09-2023, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

Don't buy stash. That is a dopamine hit addiction
So that's why I love searching for it! There is a nice biological reason for my bad habit over the years. Thanks KalamaQuilts!
Old 09-09-2023, 11:03 AM

This is the kinds of questions I like.

Some of the most creative quilters have been newbies. They’re re not confined by rules, so they don’t know when they’re breaking them.

However, if you want to be in judged competitions, rules must be followed to score well.

For me, quilting is a creative outlet, so I create my own standards.

Some of my work expresses my person struggles and journeys. This work sometimes ignores rules. And now I smile and remember them fondly.

currently, I’m doing a series on bridges of California. Since I recently moved across the nation, it brings back fond memories.

what is your reason for quilting?