Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Those foods that you hated as a kid... >

Those foods that you hated as a kid...

Those foods that you hated as a kid...

Old 12-18-2023, 03:24 AM

I had to sit at the table for a long time after everyone else was done until my lima beans were gone. Still don't eat them 😝.
​​​​​
Old 12-18-2023, 03:32 AM

Broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts, didn't touch my lips as a child and still don't. I will trade you lima beans for any of the foods on my "nasty list" in a flash. YUM in my book.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:51 AM

Oh, forgot about lima beans! Still hate them. My sister used to swallow them whole, like pills, so she wouldn't have to taste them.

Red flannel hash is when you take the leftovers from a boiled dinner the night before, add cooked beets (makes it red), chop it all up and have it as hash, with eggs, for breakfast the next day. Yum!
Old 12-18-2023, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
I had to sit at the table for a long time after everyone else was done until my lima beans were gone. Still don't eat them 😝.
​​​​​
I have vivid memories of having to do this, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what the food was that I wouldn't eat.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:55 AM

Sour kraut. That was my one sit at the table long after everyone else was gone. I just never did that to my kids??
Still don't eat it...

the broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts -I never enjoyed as a child - but like them all now
Old 12-18-2023, 04:58 AM

Asparagus was always nasty...and still is! But my DH never could get enough of it, he loved it.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:19 AM

Pretty much any overcooked vegetables, especially broccoli and asparagus. Don't get me wrong--I enjoy my veggies but only if they are not mushy. And cottage cheese. Blech The curds remind me of being sick over the toilet bowl. It's a texture thing.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
​​​​​
That was me and peas. And tapioca. I simply wouldn't, and finally I'd be released. Still don't.
I think the parents that just put one pea or one frog eye on the childs plate and say try it each time have a much better idea.
I could have made myself do ONE and a lot less famiuly stress.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:47 AM

I did not live in a "can't leave the table until..." home. My widowed mom worked full time. I can't remember ever being forced to eat something. I did dislike mayonnaise and cheese. Strictly mustard! I slowly converted when I married to a mayo-loving family. Love queso!
The first time I saw guacamole, I was at MIL's and spied the green bowl of dip. I was so worried about having to try it. Ha!
Old 12-18-2023, 07:35 AM

I was never a picky eater -- always loved lima beans! I mean as in asking when we would have them again or bemoaning there were so few in mixed vegetables. I'm also a fan of braunschweiger, a variation of liverwurst. Didn't as a kid but as an adult will have liver and onions at a diner once or twice a year -- it's getting a lot harder to find places that cook it.

I have many complaints about my mom, but we were not a "sit a the table" or "just try one bite". If we balked at all, she would whisk away the food with a comment "Oh goodie! More for the adults" which worked very well in making you want to try whatever it was next time.

When my husband first moved to be with me, I considered him a terribly picky eater, because he was! Since he discovered his keto diet he is more open to more things, especially if it is an animal part. Steaks were well done, fat cut off, and no offal of any sort, much less anything raw. On our trip and as we've been traveling I found out that many of the foods I regularly had and he had available he never actually tried. Goat cheese, pomegranate and yes avocados and guacamole. And here we are today with pomegranates and avocados in the house and when he was last visiting his mom he went out to a Poke place by choice and as what he wanted. That he is half the size he once was is only one change in his eating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poke_(Hawaiian_dish)