Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T shirt quilt >

T shirt quilt

T shirt quilt

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

PS I tie my T-shirt quilts because normally I use fat bat so they are more like a comforter. I tie them with 3 strands black embroidery floss every 3"
Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM

her is mine..what a pain it was to quilt, i ended up taking out all the stippling, re cutting it, making it into a rag quilt!

I used the wrong fusable stablizer, and the wrong batting too. i made this beofre i knew anything! it worked out fine in the end..i will see if i have a picture of it, once i ended up ragging it..

Before i quilted it..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66823[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-66818.jpe  
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Great looking quilts. I think my Harley quilt will be a project for next winter. I have several projects ahead of it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Google "how to sew t shirt quilts" and take your pick of the directions online! :-D

There are so many that you need to look and see which one you would prefer. :D
thanks for that.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 PM

This is how I made a T shirt throw. I didn't look up any instructions. First, I determined the T shirts I wanted to use. Second, I determined which logo (or whatever is on the t shirt) was the largest. Third, if it was larger than I wanted to make my block, I decide how I could use it and not mess up the logo or choose another one. Fourth, considering the largest of the logos, I measured it out for a square, leaving some of t shirt only for "framing". Fifth, I cut cotton muslin the size of the block of the t shirt, (because t-shirts are not usually on grain and also stretch) Putting the t-shirt under the square of muslin, I then cut the t-shirt to fit the muslin, and pinned it just enough to keep things together. Even one or two pins in the center of things. If I remember correctly, I put a narrow sashing between them. The for backing, I used a "sweat shirt", cut it in such a manner as to have the logo either in the center or top half, or bottom half. I pillow cased it. and Wa La T-shirt throw.
I did this for an auction for a private school to raise funds. I had one t shirt for each grade up to the ninth, 10th, 11, 12, had not happened yet. At the auction it sold for $400. Remember this was a fund raiser for a school. There was room on the back to put the other three years as they happened. Good Luck. I hope you find some clue herein to help. I'd appreciate an update. Silvia
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM

What do you use for backing fabric?

\
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
OK here is a picture of one I made several years ago for our HOG club. It's not a very good picture but you can get the basic idea. Also, I miscounted my border squares in my previous message. I sew the longer sides on first and without an inner border (like the one pictured) it is 6 12 1/2 squares sewn together with standard 1/4" border. I press these seams open. Then on the top and bottom it is 7 12 1/2 squares sewn together. This particular quilt, I had a couple of imprints that were narrow so I cut some at 6 1/4" (I think.). For T's that only have a back imprint and a pocket or small breast design I use those small ones for the cornerstones. Also a lot of the "girly" Harley shirts only have a tiny little imprint of the dealer name and maybe a tribal looking design. I also use those for cornerstones.

2006 harley T shirt quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67309[/ATTACH]