Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week 17 >

Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week 17

Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along - Week 17

Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by klgreene
You did it again Rhonda, love them. I will probably start with Ramona. It looks the easiest, however, I did Matilda, because I thought it looked easy, and WRONG, I thought I had it just perfect. And when I was looking at it today, I noticed it was all wrong, tore half out, then my points wouldn't match. No not posting that one. Those little quare blocks can be real buggers because they look easy.....For as hard as Naomi looks, I think it's the easiest. Can't do wings yet, so I don't know how hard they are. But again. Love these.
Which one are you having problems with? Can I help in any way?
Its wk 6 Matilda. Somehow, and I have no idea how but a couple of the Boston Blocks got turned. I'm not sure if I turn an entire row or what. But the top have had to be taken apart. I really should have taken a picture of the before, because the rows of little black squares and rust squares were in a row, the four corners that look like bow ties were good, the four patch corners were good. BUT..... the beige squares on top bottom and sides, only one was good. So after I put it back together, two of those points I couldn't make up. I actually think I sewed an entire row on backwards or upside down. But after I quilt it, it will be ok.

the two really bad blocks are tahe beige block on the right and top. I was just frustrated because before I realized it was wrong, I was so happy that I hadn't turned on, and all my seams were just about perfect. I know, hardest on myself. LOL

Matilda
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126774[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-126769.jpe  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Rhonda maybe it's the wonkiness is what I like about it. I like things that look a little off, they remind me of me. LOL!!
CJ then you love the kalieoscope I'm also working on. I just started playing, to see how it's done, and I can't make each block square, without going all askew. So That will be part of it's name. I have a ways to go on it. I'm not in a hurry on that one, and it's just for me. So I work on it when I feel funky.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Its wk 6 Matilda. Somehow, and I have no idea how but a couple of the Boston Blocks got turned. I'm not sure if I turn an entire row or what. But the top have had to be taken apart. I really should have taken a picture of the before, because the rows of little black squares and rust squares were in a row, the four corners that look like bow ties were good, the four patch corners were good. BUT..... the beige squares on top bottom and sides, only one was good. So after I put it back together, two of those points I couldn't make up. I actually think I sewed an entire row on backwards or upside down. But after I quilt it, it will be ok.

the two really bad blocks are tahe beige block on the right and top. I was just frustrated because before I realized it was wrong, I was so happy that I hadn't turned on, and all my seams were just about perfect. I know, hardest on myself. LOL
Katie it is really easy to get them turned the wrong way. I do it quite often and have to fix one or two or a row etc. I don't sew mine in rows very often. I do them in a 4 patch method. Sew two four patches together and then two more and then sew a 4 x4. Then I sew the remaining two together and add them to the 4 x 4. Then the other two rows I do the same except it is only 2 x 2s. It is easier to keep things in line and keep track of what goes where this way. Less chance of turning the row around.

Your color placement is differant from mine. I mean the light and darks are in a differant pattern. I like what you did with it.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM

I think I just turned the picture, or maybe that was my mistake. But I do love doing them, so I certainly am not going to stop now.

Rhonda, how many weeks of Blocks were you planning on doing? At 17 weeks, you have 51 blocks already. I may just have to make more than one sampler. LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I think I just turned the picture, or maybe that was my mistake. But I do love doing them, so I certainly am not going to stop now.

Rhonda, how many weeks of Blocks were you planning on doing? At 17 weeks, you have 51 blocks already. I may just have to make more than one sampler. LOL
I was asked to do a Dear Jane type quilt with my designs. There are 169 blocks in her quilt. The block size of hers is 5" unfinished and we are using 6 1/2" unfinished in place of hers. For those who are using the 6 1/2" size they will need 120 for a king size quilt with a 1 1/2" sashing between and that doesn't include any borders.
I was thinking of doing it for a year. 12 blocks a month for 12 mos would be 144 blocks. Too many? LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 04:31 PM

ROFLMBO not as long as you can keep designing. Even if I don't make them all, I love to see them, and now I won't be in such a hurry to finish this because I want to make sure I have just the perfect ones now. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

ROFLMBO not as long as you can keep designing. Even if I don't make them all, I love to see them, and now I won't be in such a hurry to finish this because I want to make sure I have just the perfect ones now. Thanks.
Ah shucks here I was thinking I was going to see this great work of art from you soon!!! LOL
I am having a blast doing these so I will keep on keeping on for awhile yet.

I do hope people will post pictures along the way. I know alot of people are waiting til after Christmas to start on them so maybe after the new year we will see some goodies!!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM

Yes I do hope after Christmas we see pictures. I don't just want to see mine. LOL, but one of these days, I'll lay out what I have done, because since I have used to many colors and fabrics, I really don't know what color sashing and how wide I should make it yet. My sister wants to see them too, and I haven't been sending pictures to her as I finish the blocks.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Yes I do hope after Christmas we see pictures. I don't just want to see mine. LOL, but one of these days, I'll lay out what I have done, because since I have used to many colors and fabrics, I really don't know what color sashing and how wide I should make it yet. My sister wants to see them too, and I haven't been sending pictures to her as I finish the blocks.
I have wondered how all the blocks will look together. And as there are so many will they clash or will they all look ok together. As a Sampler they should blend ok into one top.