Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby spitting up/projectile vomit.  what to do???  help please. >

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by grammiepamie
Could I please ask why he was in NICU please?
He was 6 1/2 weeks premature. I had pre-eclampsia and Nathan decided to come early. He was fine in the NICU, but when we brought him home (4 weeks later), he starting spitting up and it just progressively got worse (he started out on breast milk), which I figured would have been the best for him, but the doc said he had a milk intolerance. We switched him to soy and that seemed to be about the best, so now I'm thinking maybe the soy and the zantac? but I'm scared to make a move without the doc's approval.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 AM

Rachel, I hate to tell you but you have a boy. Your carpet is pretty much doomed. We bought new carpet again when same son was 13. As the installers left, he came in bleeding from a bike wreck. First stain when the carpet was less than an hour old!

I'm sure medical advice has changed much over the last 23 years, but milk made a difference for us. Probiotics had never been heard of back then, but I can see how they might help.

Two of our nephews had the same problem. They are now 17 and 6. The 17 year old tried every formula there was and then just kind of grew out of it. The 6 year old ended up on some kind of prescription formula that cost a fortune but really helped him. I didn't even know there was such a thing as prescription baby formula.

Nap when he naps if you can. House work can wait. And remember, your the Mom. Mom knows stuff. If something doesn't seem right to you, pester the doctors until you get an answer that works. Get other opinions if you need to do so.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 AM

What kind of belly button does he have? Inny or outey?There is a reason why I asked that. You probably think I am crazy but I'm not. Just a concerned grammie.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
He was fine in the NICU, but when we brought him home (4 weeks later), he starting spitting up and it just progressively got worse (he started out on breast milk), which I figured would have been the best for him, but the doc said he had a milk intolerance. We switched him to soy and that seemed to be about the best, so now I'm thinking maybe the soy and the zantac? but I'm scared to make a move without the doc's approval.
Ohhhhh wait a minute - this DOCTOR told you the baby had a 'milk intolerance' to your breast milk?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Time to find a new doctor. If your 'motherly instincts' tell you something is not right - keep searching - even if it means a second or third opinion.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Originally Posted by Rachel
He was fine in the NICU, but when we brought him home (4 weeks later), he starting spitting up and it just progressively got worse (he started out on breast milk), which I figured would have been the best for him, but the doc said he had a milk intolerance. We switched him to soy and that seemed to be about the best, so now I'm thinking maybe the soy and the zantac? but I'm scared to make a move without the doc's approval.
Ohhhhh wait a minute - this DOCTOR told you the baby had a 'milk intolerance' to your breast milk?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Time to find a new doctor. If your 'motherly instincts' tell you something is not right - keep searching - even if it means a second or third opinion.
That is a new one to me, too - that does seem "strange" that a baby would be intolerant of his own mother's milk.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 AM

Coming from a parent of a child with many food allergies and intolerances, it sounds like your poor baby is allergic or simply intolerant to his formula. Maybe even to soy, it is a very common allergen. Ask for a referral to an allergist or someone else who can help you diagnose the issues now.

If this doctor doesn't seem to be doing enough to satisfy you, don't be afraid to get a second opinion, or a third and fourth.

And no, they don't always grow out of it. My son doesn't projectile vomit anymore but he still cannot tolerate many foods. More often, the children learn to live with the issues and think the reaction is normal.

You may want to look for a pediatrician or medical doctor that is also a homeopath.

Most importantly, trust your instincts. Mama knows best.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 AM

I used to work on a pediatric floor. Sometimes when they have projectile vomiting it is because they have pyloric stenosis. Both my kids were fussy....one was on bottle and one was on breast. A pediatric doctor put my daughter on buttermilk which was much better but when I came back to Ontario the new doctor took her off of it. Things will get better. Hang in there.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 AM

What kind of belly button does he have? Inny or outey?There is a reason why I asked that. You probably think I am crazy but I'm not. Just a concerned grammie.
He has an inny. I've gotta hear the reasoning behind this please. tee hee
Old 11-29-2010, 08:40 AM

OMG!! Go to Wal-Mart or similar that has a pharmacutial section. Buy 'gas drops'. Put them in his bottle before giving it to him. And/or put some right into his mouth. I'm not promising it will help but it will not hurt~!! I was lucky and none of my kids were 'spitters'. My bro's kids were though!! Yuck!!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Momof3Es
OMG!! Go to Wal-Mart or similar that has a pharmacutial section. Buy 'gas drops'. Put them in his bottle before giving it to him. And/or put some right into his mouth. I'm not promising it will help but it will not hurt~!! I was lucky and none of my kids were 'spitters'. My bro's kids were though!! Yuck!!
We did the milican drops for awhile, they didn't help either. :cry: