Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names. >

Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names.

Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 AM

It will be a few weeks before I get this done as we are painting our kitchen cabinets. I have my plan, so it is a go for me, Maybe I will put up the picture I will use to hold the place till the block is made.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 AM

I plan to find some fabric that works for my Golden's color, then I will trace this picture on the fabric and use thread to paint the lines. The panel will eventually be a pillow. Plan is there all I need to do is execute it.
Originally Posted by Murphy1
It will be a few weeks before I get this done as we are painting our kitchen cabinets. I have my plan, so it is a go for me, Maybe I will put up the picture I will use to hold the place till the block is made.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pat Curtis
Sounds like a fun idea!! Don't laugh-but when I signed in, I really wasn't sure exactly what I was doing, so this is my opportunity to make my sign more special.
same here :thumbup:
Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
OK, it seems the screen names project is taking on a new life, and the challenge is now to make, and display (post) a wall hanging, or quilt, and keep it for ourselves. Is this a yes or a no?
Olebat-Judy judy judy started a thread for anyone that wants there blocks made into a quilt. I realized that a swap was way over my head. The thread I started will be about making blocks just for the fun of it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151615-1.htm This is judy's link.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by alapetitechaise
Not sure but i love the photo, thanks for sending. I am going to think about this.
I admit, that's much less exciting than what I had pictured...

but "la petite chaise" means a little chair. Why not ponder that for a bit? A child's chair, maybe?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Hey Ya'll I know what I'm going to do! I've chosen the perfect quilt just for me. I found some beautiful bluebonnet fabric on my vacation & had decided to use it in a "Happy Trails" pattern. I've even bought the coordinating fabrics last week. I think I'll put my applique Double B on one of these blocks. Not only will my quilt for me it will be about me. I wasn't going to start it yet, but i guess I had better get crack'en. :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254427.jpe  
Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 PM

You have inspired me dublb. For an (adult) 4-H activity, I had to produce a crest which explained me. The original seems to have gone missing, but I located a draft, and the meaning. I think I'll play with the concept to make my wall hanging.

• The personal crest representing who I am is topped by a Bald Eagle, signifying that I am an American, who served proudly in the U.S. Army.

•The individual cubes represent the passion of quilting and the patches of my life.

• The colors represent my Hispanic & English heritage, and are arranged in alternating patterns, representing the different backgrounds of my parents.

• I have been married for 38 years.

• Because of our careers in the Army, we decided to have no children, and had pets instead.

• When I retired I had my 1st child, an exchange student from Germany. We have since hosted a total 15 students. In addition to hosting, I have served as local or regional coordinator for several exchange organizations.

• For the past 20 years, through my involvement with 4-H, I have been trying to reach the lives of over 3,000 children in my county per year.

• Although most of my professional career was in nursing, and my husband is a nurse practitioner, I also have backgrounds in career counseling, photojournalism, pet store management, printing & graphics, and even some professional sewing, making square dance petticoats.

• I am environmentally concerned, trying to bring information gained through the many environmental organizations to which I belong, to the children of my life, in hopes that they will help preserve and protect the earth for future generations.

• I am a caver, discovering the mysteries of the underground on my hands & knees. I’ve also served in leadership rolls for local and national speleological organizations.

• One of the mysteries I rediscovered through caving was bats. I assist the county Ag agent with issues involving bats. Through extension and Bat Conservation International, I present programs to hundreds of people per year providing information on the benefits of bats, and dispelling the myths of this beautiful creature.

• As a world traveler, I have visited over 20 countries, and most states of the United States.

• Personal interests include:

• Tent and car camping,

• Cooking, for family, catering for 4-H activities, and preparing all meals for five days, every year, while camping, for a group of 30 caveing friends;

• Arts & Crafts, teaching children and youth how to entertain themselves without the use of electronic screens.

• Water sports, such as canoeing, kayaking and white water rafting.

• Although I enjoy the Fine Arts, of music, theater, and dance, I have become an observer, rather than a doer. I square danced for over 20 years, until health issues curtailed that activity.

• Computers, their benefits and aggravations, consume vast amounts of my time, are sucking the life out of me.

• There is one blank square indicating a myriad of interests of my past and present and future.

• The crest is guarded by snakes, known to be pets in my household, in addition to other reptiles.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254493.jpe  
Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
Well that may be a bit hard for me, but its a challenge!

Hmmmm, Psychomom quilter, could divide the m]name up and then try something/ NO not a shower and knife!!

could make it look crazy then a pict of a mom then a quilter? Thats a LOT!
How about a person in a straightjacket with a needle and thread in her mouth and a quilt on her lap?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:11 PM

As my nameis April, I will probably attempt a simple applique of a Daisy ( The flower of the month) and a Diamond (April's birthstone). Or maybe a daisy made from diamond shapes. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Mine is a dye process not used commercially for 160 years. Baffled how a block might convey that!
What comes to mind is a simple gradation color change, perhaps a watercolor-type ? Dark at the bottom and gradually lightening to white at the top, as if having been dip-dyed...does that make sense?